Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

suffering from blue screens..

• Please log in to reply

VK.Jayy

VK.Jayy

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
hello there!
over the last 2 months i have been suffering from bsod's when playing games! within this time i have been from vista, then to xp, and formatted roughly 3 times! i have also been on another tech forum trying to solve my problem. they were really helpful up until the point where they believed i may be infected as i use utorrent.exe and it was seen as a running process in the last minidump i had posted to them. from which there on, i have posted a thread in their malware removal forum and havn't had a reply after a lengthy time waiting.

4 of my dumps contained usbport.sys, then the others consisted of nv4_mini.sys, atapi.sys and also avgtdix.sys.
also, all the errors were ATTEMPTED_SWITCH_FROM_DPC.

some steps i took into trying to fix these ongoing errors was:

- reinstalling my graphics drivers with the lastest release (didn't change a thing)
- unplugging my dvd drive (havn't had any blue screens relating to usbport.sys since this)
- cleaned avg of my system roughly 30 mins after installing due to recieving a blue screen because of the driver avgtdix.sys which was also restricting a nvidia driver named nvenetfd.sys to load

what should i do? should i post the dumps here? or would a link to my external thread be more easier? - if that's allowed?

i'll wait for a helping hand in this thread before going ahead with a malware removal thread, a second opinion is always helpful. :)

Edited by VK.Jayy, 24 February 2009 - 06:57 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

cleaned avg of my system roughly 30 mins after installing

Does it mean, you don't have any security program installed?

Navigate to: C:\Windows\Minidump folder.
If you see any .dmp files, zip all of them, and attach zipped file to your next reply.

VK.Jayy

VK.Jayy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
immediately after uninstalling avg, i installed Avira anti-virus and performed a full computer scan which picked up nothing.

Attached Files

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Most errors are ATTEMPTED_SWITCH_FROM_DPC, plus couple more of DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, which would point to some driver problem.
It causes problems not only in your games, because faulting process are: uTorrent.exe, csrss.exe, firefox.exe, Ventrilo.exe, Wow.exe
Possible faulting drivers are: avgtdix.sys, atapi.sys, USBPORT.SYS, nv4_mini.sys
We'll have to try to proceed one step at a time.
avgtdix.sys - AVG was uninstalled, but apparently there are some leftovers.
Run AVG Remover: http://www.avg.com/download-tools

Please, remove/move all existing .dmp files, so we'll have a fresh start.

VK.Jayy

VK.Jayy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
hello, couple of days later i've decided to give the game a go and yep, you've guessed it i'm back to the blue sreens again! :)

i took your advice, downloaded the avg remover and cleaned up the leftovers.
i recieved the first blue screen followed by 2 crashes without any error report, then a 2nd minidump after another bsod(all while playing WoW.exe).

[EDIT]
just recieved another blue screen while playing a different game known as counter strike source.
you'll find there's 3 dumps now i'm afraid. :)

i think i'll stop playing the games until i see what you think of these blue screens. :)

Attached Files

Edited by VK.Jayy, 27 February 2009 - 05:49 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
One little good news is - no more errors from avgtdix.sys, I assume, thanks to running AVG removal tool.
Now, we have:
- one IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error in jqs.exe process (Java Quick Starter), caused by inspect.sys (part of Comodo)
- two ATTEMPTED_SWITCH_FROM_DPC errors; one caused by nv4_mini.sys (nVidia), and one by USBPORT.SYS

We know the second error already, but the first one is new.
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error most common causes are: bad RAM, and overheating

As you can see, troubleshooting of your errors is pretty complicated, and we have to be patient, moving around, one step at a time.

1. Download, and install SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Post your computer temperatures:

Posted Image

Provide processor info (hold Windows key, and hit Pause/Break key to find out).

I want you to post temperatures, when computer is idle, first. Then, start playing any of your games, and watch those temps closely.

2. Before you go to bed tonight, run Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool: http://www.geekstogo...ol-t177564.html

VK.Jayy

VK.Jayy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
sorry for the slightly delayed reply, had to be somewhere i didn't want to be today! they call it work. :)

Posted Image

i ran speedfan and played the game for about an hour recieving your post.
i noticed the temperatures did go up but temp 3 raised by quite a bit up to 127C sometimes. they were all continously changing and i did take 4 screenshots(the 1st when idle, the other 3 randomly while playing the game). i was continously 'alt tabbing' between speedfan and the game so i could see the temperatures incase i recieved a blue screen of death - unfortunately that didn't happen.

also, whether or not this is of any importance, i thought it may be appropiate to test speedfan again this morning. i did this because my computer had been running pretty much all day and up until last night i recieved the blue screens. obviously this morning my computer would be much cooler after being switched off for a good 10 hours, so again i did the 4 screenshots(1 of them being when idle).

i don't actually understand which temperature is what and was assuming you wouldn't mind seeing the screenshots as i guess you are more experienced with the application. :)

as for the windows memory diagnostics tool, i ran that overnight and the results were fine.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Can you post those screenshots?

VK.Jayy

VK.Jayy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
these screenshots were from after i recieved your post.

[IDLE]

Posted Image

[PLAYING GAME]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

these are the screenshots from when i first booted my computer this morning.

[IDLE]

Posted Image

[PLAYING GAME]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

sorry for the horrible layout. :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Certainly something is overheating, but I'm not 100% sure what.
I think your two cores temps will be two of:
temp1
temp2
temp

Please, get RightMark CPU Clock Utility: http://cpu.rightmark.../download.shtml, and see, if can get more readings.

Advertisements

VK.Jayy

VK.Jayy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
i do apologise but i'm not quite sure what readings you're after and i've never used this app either. :)

but. i did take these screenys if they're of any relevance?

took these while computer was idle..

Posted Image

Posted Image

VK.Jayy

VK.Jayy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
any possiblity of using a different program that you may be experienced with other than speedfan?
it's just i've read it's notorious for giving faulse readings.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yes. Perfect. Exactly what I wanted. CPU Info.
We got two temps: core1, and core 2.
Now start the game, and give me fresh screenshots while playing.

VK.Jayy

VK.Jayy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
after a good 3 hours of gaming i took two screenys.

soon after i recieved a blue screen, restarted, opened the game and recieved another.
would you like the minidumps? i'm quite sure they both point to nvidia drivers.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
IMO, we definitely have overheating problem.
Your processor max temp is listed at 63C, so you're getting dangerously close.
2nd core shows 59.4C just before BSOD, so we may assume, that at the moment of BSOD, temp raises couple more degrees, and you're done with playing.

Grab a can of compressed air.
Turn off computer. Give it a good cleaning.
Do NOT use vacuum cleaner. While cleaning fans, hold the blades with a pencil to avoid any damages.
With case open, turn the computer on, see, if all fans are running.
Get a house fan, point it toward the case.
Check temps, start playing the game. Watch the temps.