Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop Blues. After the attack!

• Please log in to reply

E Publishing

E Publishing

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This past week I have been downloading and testing free and trial ripping software so that I can save all our VHS tapes to DVD.
In the process I also gained a very nice package of Worms and Trojans!
I do have a regularly updated virus programme - Spyware Doctor - which I assumed would catch these, but of course it didn't!
I have managed to remove possibly 90% of said nastie's by using a-squared Free which I heartily recommend to everybody, it certainly found a whole heap of stuff that was in my drives and backup discs.
I have attempted to get the system back to normal by updating all the system drivers, uninstalled all unwanted programmes using Revo Uninstall, the registry is cleaned everyday with Uniblue Registry Booster and I have also used Spotmau to sort out junk files and the like.
The computer runs without any problems, that is to say that I am typing this in browser and when I press the go button I'm sure that you will get it, also programmes seem to be running as they should.
BUT, [there's always a but isn't there?] the computer is slow, especially when multi-tasking, even if I close all background programmes like browser and mail it doesn't seem to make any difference.
I have also lost right click / drag and drop on the desktop, I can't for instance re-arrange the start menu or sort by name.
Also, and this has been since before the attack, Computer hangs on boot-up when it gets to DMI Pool Data, I have to press F1 to get it to continue.
Can anybody help with these initial problems? I'm sure to find more but one step at a time.

Advertisements

shinybeast

shinybeast

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello E Publishing,

You should get a clean bill of health for your computer by posting in the Malware Removal forum or go through the Malware Removal Guide . If you aren't certain the computer is clean, the slowdown could be because of malware. Read the pinned topics in those forums and good luck.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Not to mention, that neither Spyware Dr, or a-Squared are antivirus programs, and any Boosters are first kind of programs to avoid.

shinybeast

shinybeast

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

and any Boosters are first kind of programs to avoid.

Amen!

I should've mentioned that. If the program(s) have an "undo," you may want to do that. They rarely solve anything and more often cause problems.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Spyware Doctor isn't even a very good anti-spyware program. Going through the malware steps will also give you the chance to learn about better protection programs for your PC. As mentioned, you should stop running the registry cleaner immediately. A registry cleaner does absolutely nothing to speed up the performance of your PC, and you run the very real risk of damaging it beyond repair. I wouldn't run one on a yearly basis, much less a daily one.