Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help with Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

pfrad

pfrad

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I put this system together last April, it rus runs fine but I would like a little more Umph, when I tax it a bit it noticeably slows down, so some ideas on speeding it up a bit would be great, like maybe a new processor is in order?, a couple hundred is about all I have to spend, I dont use the pc for games,mainly video and photo and as an entertainment system..........heres the goods

XFX nforce 680i sli 775 Mobo
Q6600 2.4 ghz CPU
Corsair twin 2048 ddr 2 pc 6400

Edited by pfrad, 25 February 2009 - 06:34 AM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
For what you use this system for, what does "noticably slows down" mean? I mean, simple tasks like watching videos and editing photos, shouldn't slow a machine spec'd like yours. How many processes do you have running in task manager? Do you empty your temp files regularly, and also defrag your hard drive?

creepysound

creepysound

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
could you also please provide your Video Card you have?

pfrad

pfrad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ok, well I have asus eax 1550 video, I notive the slow down when I put a movie on (s video out to tv) and im doing some other work with the pc, or if I doing some editing and I also unraring some stuff, when Im just doing one thing a time it's great. I use photoshop a lot and its ok on its own, but I would like just a little more speed, maybe it's as simple as some more ram, anyways thanks for the reply guys, let me know what you think.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
pfrad,

It does seem odd that you are having those issues with that kind of hardware. If you take a look at my signature, the top two are Dells. They don't come near what you have and I don't have those problems your having. As a matter a fact, I can multi-task even while running virus scans...probably not watch a dvd while its scanning :)

Take a look at this guide by Artellos. What makes your machine slow?

Maybe its just time to give a little tune up to your machine.

Thats my two cents. Hope it helps,