Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows update error!

• Please log in to reply

f0xy

f0xy

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
After successfully removing malware/spyware/virus from my pc!!

W32.Cirut.32 Mainly..

Iam unable to use windows update, and its throwing the error 0x80070002 at me, i've tried a few options by searching but to no avail, I'v also tried stopping/starting the Automatic updates and BITS services before and after.

I've used the WUFix.zip

If anyone knows of any fix please help me! If you would like to see the steps I ran through to get rid of the malware/spyware please refer to this post;

Malware Removal Steps Link

Many Thanks for all your help guys

Ryan

Advertisements

f0xy

f0xy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Anyone able to help me guys?

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Do you get any errors when you stop/start the Windows Auto update and BITS services?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Please download Dial-A-Fix.
Unzip the folder found in the archive to a place you can remember. For example: C:\DialAFix
Then follow the steps below.
  • Browse to the folder where you saved Dial-A-Fix.
  • Open Dial-a-fix.exe
  • Tick the following boxes:
    Empty temp folders
    Fix Windows Update
  • In the bottom left press the GO Button.
Note that ticking a box might tick others too. Leave them ticked!

Regards,
Olrik

f0xy

f0xy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Do you get any errors when you stop/start the Windows Auto update and BITS services?

Yes when starting either of the services I get the same message,

Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.

f0xy

f0xy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Just tried to run windows update after using dial-a-fix and now i get a different error code : [Error number: 0x80070424]

f0xy

f0xy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Need to update windows! help me :)

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Open services.msc and double click on the BITS service, when the properties Window comes up what does it say for the "Path to Executable"?

f0xy

f0xy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Please help :)

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Go to START then RUN and type in services.msc and hit ENTER , double click on the BITS service, when the properties Window comes up what does it say for the "Path to Executable"?

Advertisements

f0xy

f0xy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
%fystemRoot%\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Follow these steps to fix the problem. First step is to back up the Registry. For what we are going to do creating a system restore point will work. Next you will need to open the Registry Editor. Hold the Windows key and press R, when the Run box opens type in regedit and hit Enter. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS , in the right Window pane look for Imagepath. In the data column it should have the %fystemRoot%\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs , doubleclick on Imagepath and change it to %SystemRoot%\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs. It is exactly the same except change the f to an S Hit Okay, while you are in regedit, check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001 and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002 for the same settings. Exit regedit and go back to services.msc and check for other "Path to Executable" errors that say the same thing. You will need to make changes to any others that have the %fystemRoot%\system32 error.

f0xy

f0xy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Says Cannot edit imagepath: Error writing the value's new contents. on all...its on the wuauserv aswell being windows autoupdate

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Sorry, had to eat supper. Download this tool and run it

f0xy

f0xy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
done