Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

LG-GWA4614B DVD drive not recognizing Dell Reinstall disc.

• Please log in to reply

jcarissimo

jcarissimo

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi everyone, I am at the point where I was directed by a GeeksToGo professional to reformat my hard drive due to massive virus/trojan infections. I am having a problem with the DVD drive and hope someone knows what it could be.

If I put the reinstall DVD in the drive it will spin a few times but never show up in the My Computer(not recognizing it?) and therefore Startup.exe never runs. I've put this same DVD into a normal working pc and it started up just fine - so we know it's probably the pc/drive. But the strange thing is if I put a CD or different DVD into the infected computer it will recognize it. I have tried several times to do driver updates from the Dell and Softpedia websites but they keep telling me the most recent driver is installed...

Does anyone have an alternative idea? Besides tossing this infected pc into the trash... lol. For example if I took an old internal drive from another pc and "connected" it to this pc - do you think that would work? Or would you just swap them all together??

I look forward to your responses.

Thank you,
jcarissimo

Advertisements

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Have you tried to Acces your CD drive with explorer?

jcarissimo

jcarissimo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
isimaster, yes i did try to use Windows Explorer but got the same result.

i actually just added a second drive as a slave drive and it seems to recognize the dvd automatically with no problem.

thank you anyway.

regards,
jcarissimo

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Glad to hear you on your way.