Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Looking For Front Audio & Mic jacks

• Please log in to reply

bc2hander

bc2hander

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

My 6.5 yr old computer finally died and I am putting a new system together. I have a compucase that I'm keeping and it has front usb. The panel for the usb is behind a little door and the panel has 2 circles that could be drilled for front audio and mic jacks. However, in my limited compter time on a friend's computer I haven't been able to locate any jacks to plug into my new mobo for the front jacks. Any one know where I can purchase these jacks?

Thanks!
d

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Your best bet is to take the front of the case off and see if there's any circuits there for front audio. If not it's pointless drilling the holes, initially anyway.
Have a look at this picture for what I mean: http://thecodecave.c...mages/fpa/3.jpg - notice there nothing in any way for front audio.

Theoretically if you look at the rest of the article:
http://www.thecodeca...-fpa-connector/

It is possible to build one of your own, however considering you can get an entire new case with front audio and USB as standard anyway, one has to wonder whether it's worth it.

bc2hander

bc2hander

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for responding Neil!

sorry for the lag time in my response. No computer yet :)

my case is all metal with a powder coated finish. I've looked at cases in local stores and all Iv'e seen are cases made of plastic. So why spend real big bucks if a metal case can be found when i have a nice case? I just figured one could find the same jacks and circuitry used in computers that plug into the f audio on the mobo. Kinda like a reapir part when a jack may go bad. In the end, the front jacks aren't that important.

I doubt I would have attempted to buy a radio shack jack and tried to make it work like the article you linked to did. Have to give that guy props.

thanks again for your response and the link to the article!
cheers
d