Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A new build - looking for help selecting components.

• Please log in to reply

doug9290

doug9290

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello :)

I've recently decided to attempt to build a computer, as my current computer is a little out of date. I've done some research about the different components but i've got a bit lost. I have set myself a budget of around $850, though i wouldn't mind spending a little more if necessary.

I'm guessing there must be loads of threads like this around, and i apologise if i've posted in the wrong place, but all tips and advice will be very much appreciated

My main goal is to build a computer which can run all my current games (WoW, CoD4, Left 4 Dead etc.) on the highest settings with no lag and also some of the newer games too. I don't know if this is possible with my current budget but im hoping you guys will be able to point me in the right direction.

While i live outside of the US and won't be able to order from newegg.com, i've been looking up the different components on there and have come across an AMD processor i think would suit me:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103472
From the reviews i've read its a great processor, but will it work for gaming? I've read that intel is better for gaming but most of the well reviewed intel processors seem to be way out of my price range. Is this processor a good choice? Should i spend more and buy intel?

Most things i've read have said that the best thing to do after choosing a processor is to pick a compatible motherboard. I'm completely lost here, could anyone suggest a motherboard compatible with the above processor? Ideally i'd like to buy a motherboard which has good upgrade prospects and that will last me quite a while.

As far as RAM is concerned ive found this on Newegg:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820609361
Is DDR3 RAM better than DDR2? Whats the difference? Would this type of ram be compatible with the kind of motherboard that would work the processor? Any suggestions here would really help.

As i am planning to play games, i'm guessing a good graphics card will be in order. I was thinking of something like:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814127409
But once again i don't know if it will be compatible with the motherboard/RAM etc. Is this a good card? Should i go for something cheaper?

Those 3 parts (CPU/RAM/graphics card) come to around $525 on Newegg. I realise that my budget may not allow me to spend that much on just those 3 parts, but im pretty clueless on how much an appropriate case/powersupply/fans/harddrive etc will cost.

Well, thank you for reading this far! :) I realise there are alot of questions here, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Doug.

Advertisements

Tom331

Tom331

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I don't know to much about hardware but when I built my pc this site was very useful [color=red]edited link to a different site/forum :)

Hard drives are relatively cheap these days I think. Also here's a list of compatible motherboards http://www.dvhardwar...ticle25787.html (I haven't checked it so you might want to make sure it really is compatible before you get it :))

Edited by sari, 25 February 2009 - 03:43 PM.

doug9290

doug9290

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for letting me know about the other site tom331 :)

I've had a read about and made a similar post there too. Interesting stuff, and i've learned alot already :)

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Your Best bet for a first build is to buy a Bare Bones kit.
The only thing you have to be carefull about is the MotherBoard.

The MotherBoard is the Primary Piece, that will allow you future upgrades,

If you find a kit that suits your needs/budget, go to the manufacturers site and
look up the Maxium, CPU you can put in it.

If that fits, your all set.

$850 for a gaming machine is Way Low, Serious Gaming systems run in the $2000 range.

DDR3 is Faster than DDR2, thus better for gaming.

Tom331

Tom331

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
No problem, hope you end up with the best components for your money =]

doug9290

doug9290

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the advice Isimaster, i would still prefer to build my computer from scratch, but i'll check out those barebone kits. I realise $850 is low for a gaming computer, but i'm not after anything crazy. I'm just looking to choose the best components which fit my budget :)

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
They also sell a Combo, Which is the MotherBoard and CPU.

Just one more option.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Tom331, we have some staff members here who are extremely good with hardware. Please don't send people to another forum for help.

Tom331

Tom331

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Sorry, I know there are people who are good here, was sending him there mainly for the info already there. Sorry =]. Btw you might want to edit out the post below my one, it also contains the forum url