Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

• Please log in to reply

bjack2345

bjack2345

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I got some virus surfing the net. I brief rundown of my problem. I have windows XP media center w/SP3. At first when I logged on I could not see my icons or task bar, just my desktop with nothing else. I tried alt-ctrl-delete and my task manager was disabled. I got that part fixed and ran Ad-ware through the task manager and it found a few viruses that I cleaned up and my task bar and icons came back. It asked me to reboot so I did. It must have deleted or changed something in my log in/off loop because when I logged back in it logs me off in the matter of seconds. I tried with the admin account and in safe mode with nothing working. Next I got on my dad's computer and searched some websites and I came across some suggestions to boot from my xp cd-enter recovery-go to my c:\windows\system32-copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe-(it said one file copied)-exit-reboot your computer and you should be able to log in-then got to phase II and regedit.

But my problem is after I copied the exe files listed and exited and restarted my computer, I logged in and it logged me right back out so something is still wrong. I have read other fixes that mention going through a network computer and edit the registry, but I dont have one so this is not an option.

So basically, I have done all I know how or have read, other than a hammer, and I still cant log in. Looking for some guidance please!

Thanks a million,
bjack2345

Advertisements