Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

duplicate name on network

• Please log in to reply

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
If you don't work with cpmc anymore, please go to that DNS screen and select both entries and hit Remove (Make sure both are gone)
Then tick the radio button Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes and tick the box Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix

Rebooted after changing name, no further "Duplicate name... " message after changing name!

That's good, just keep your eye on it for a while to make sure it doesn't come back.

I'm tired of getting lip from this guy, every time, I ask you to do something.
I have given him enough information to fix you're problem.
I'll let the "Trusted Tech Staff" take it from here.

I am sorry if I stepped on your toes, but this forum isn't only for USA people and the advice given might have caused some people to shoot into stress after they figure out they loose their internet connection. Just have to be careful and make sure that what you're doing is not going to scare/confuse the person you're trying to help.

Regards,
Olrik

Advertisements

heidkat

heidkat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ok, I delete both cpmc entries, etc as directed. Rebooted, no message-hurray!! I thank you both for your help. I have learnede some new things! Have a wonderful weekend.
:)
kathy

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
K,
You'll probably never read this,but, glad to see your problem has been resolved.

Edited by isimaster, 08 March 2009 - 12:54 PM.

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
For anyone who may read this thread.

The Host Name (Computer Name) your-4f1261a8e5

Is a Standard name Comapaq used on All:

Compaq Presario 061
System Model PW520AA-ABA SR1463CL NA520
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 12 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~2411 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.07, 1/10/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.3

There may be others, this one has been verified.