Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I know if I can fit all my hardware in a ATX mid tower?

• Please log in to reply

Thunder11

Thunder11

• Pip
  • 6 posts
If I can fit all of my hardware into a mid tower, I would like to do so because it is potentially much cheaper. But how do I know if that is possible before buying a case? Will I have heating issues if I get a mid tower? Also, I want to have the option of adding more RAM and another graphics card.

Here is my hardware:
-Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
- LITE-ON Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04 - OEM
- CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC
- G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model
-Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920
-Intel BOXDX58SO LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
-HIS Hightech H487QT1GP Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported IceQ 4+ Turbo Video Card

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Midi towers typically have four bay units for CD units (though not a general rule as they can have two or three and still be the right height). ATX is a standard definition so therefore if your ATX board doesn't fit in it you don't have an ATX case.

Thunder11

Thunder11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Right, how can I know if the mid ATX will leave enough room for air flow? With all the wiring in there, I do not want to cram everything in an prevent the computer from cooling.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Just be careful how you route the cables. Try and group them and keep them out of the way of the fans.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Some people believe in cable ties to neaten the insides of a computer. I personally don't believe in cable ties as every time I've had to use one they end up having to be cut for whatever reason six weeks later. But if you're careful and occasionally creative with wiring arrangements you can often get away without a need for cable ties.