Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build - Dual PSU

• Please log in to reply

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
In the near future I will be purchasing hardware to assemble a new PC.

Because I will be loading this thing with a lot of hardware I am considering adding a second Power Supply to the system, but have never set one up before.

I found this cable online: http://www.ultraprod...p;productID=584

Is that the best way to connect 2 Power Supplies to a system? I greatly appreciate your help and experience.

The Power Supply I would be looking at, at the moment is the Ultra X3 ULT40311 1000-Watt Power Supply
http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=2535

I would be looking at putting 2 of these in the tower. The second would most likely just power the Hard Drives. (Plan is to have 5 x 1TB Hard Drives) While the Primary would run the Motherboard, Processor, Fans, and 2 Graphics Cards, 5 DVD Burners. (5 DVD Burners for DVD Duplication - Side Business)

Thanks again, and I greatly appreciate the help!

Edited by Immortalarena, 26 February 2009 - 10:08 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A second power supply can be asking for trouble and a better solution would simply be to get a bigger (wattage output wise) one. Many cases are not designed for more than one PSU. Whether you actually need 1000w is an entirely different issue.

Corwin_Trueblood

Corwin_Trueblood

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I have often wondered about this myself becuase a typical psu doesn't have that many connections.... like maybe 6-8 i believe

Because if you run out of plugs and keep using splitters the load on the psu could be too much for it

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
The case I am looking at was indeed designed to be able to hold 2 Power Supplies, and I won't put a second one in if I don't really need it, but if I do, I just need to know the best way to approach that situation. The Power Supply that is listed shows it can handle 10 SATA Drives, but I don't know until I get it and start building if that is true or not. Thanks for the Posts so far.