Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new hdd won't boot to WIN XP

• Please log in to reply

brinas30

brinas30

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Info: Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop
HDD went bad
Also, AC Adapter was broken and eventually battery went dead
Purchased new HDD of same type
Was given a Dell Inspiron 4000 and WIN XP CD to use and used that laptop to install XP on my new HDD until I received my new AC Adapter.
Received new AC Adapter, installed the new HDD into the Dell 1000 and when attempting to boot, received the following:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this

The only options given are the Safe Mode option, but none of them work and only bring me back to this screen. I reset BIOS to default and it recognized the HDD properly, but still always go back to same error screen.
The HDD was working perfectly on the 4000 and was even able to put my files, settings, etc on it and use windows properly with no issues.
I do not have the XP installation CD any longer, nor the other laptop and am lost on what to do. :)
HELP, need to use this laptop!
Thank you.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

Was given a Dell Inspiron 4000 and WIN XP CD to use and used that laptop to install XP on my new HDD
[...]
installed the new HDD into the Dell 1000

It'll never work.
Windows installation is tied up to the hardware, which was present at the time, Windows was installed.
You can't simply move HD from one laptop to another.
You have to reinstall Windows on new laptop.