Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Wi-Fi Router using DSL

• Please log in to reply

obewan3

obewan3

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My Wi-Fi router (Trendnet TEW-652BRP) will not run streaming video. It is capable of 300MBps but the transfer rate on the status screen shows 65MBps. I think it is even less than that. I have ATT DSL ultra which will run streaming video with a direct connection, but when I use the wireless, it will stream for about 10 mins and then freeze or crash. After that, it will even freeze just clicking the back button in Google. If I don't try to steam, the wireless is pretty fast for web surfing or downloads. I read another post where a guy had help setting up his Windows config to speed up his WI-FI with the same router, but it didn't say what he did. I have a 2004 dell with a 32bit Celeron 2.0Ghz 512MB RAM with Windows XP Professional service pack 3.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Just for clarifiaction: when you connect the computer directly to the router (no wireless) is the computer streaming video without interruption for a long time?

Your computer has quite limited performance with it's slow celeron CPU.

obewan3

obewan3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Just for clarifiaction: when you connect the computer directly to the router (no wireless) is the computer streaming video without interruption for a long time?

Your computer has quite limited performance with it's slow celeron CPU.

Yes it streams fine with a direct DSL connection. I watched two continuous hours of webtv two days ago.

The Trendnet help desk just emailed me back. They said to try a less used SSID channel like 1 or 11. It seems like eveyone at my condo uses channel 6 like me. He also told me to set the channel width to Auto and 20/40 Mhz that will optimize my router. I will try those changes. If I can't fix this problem I can always run a 50' s-video cable from my office computer to my living room - maybe a bit unsightly though, but no wife to complain about it LOL.

Edited by obewan3, 26 February 2009 - 02:40 PM.