Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OK to install OS from a different system?

• Please log in to reply

brf4n

brf4n

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of backing up my hard drive so I can reformat my HD and reinstall my OS (XP), but I'm having some problems. Since I bought the computer at costco, it didn't come with the Windows XP CDs...all it came with were backup drivers. There is no way I can install Windows XP from the backup CD they supplied me.

So now I am thinking, would it be OK to install Windows XP from another laptop I have in my home? It's an IBM Thinkpad, and on the Windows XP CD it came with, it says "for use with IBMs only," talking about other thinkpads.

Even though it's not specifically meant to be installed on the computer I bought at costco, will the Windows XP supplied for the Thinkpad work with my other system? Or will it just be a huge disaster if I try installing it?

I mean, it's either that, or install Windows 2000 Professional, which I bought standalone. Any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated :tazz:

Thanks

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
I think I would contact Cosco and get an XP CD from them. If you bought a computer with the OS preinstalled, then you did, in fact, purchase a copy of the OS along with the computer. If you paid for it, why don't you have it? Contact those guys and see if they'll hook you up with a CD. Do you have your CD Key? Even if you could run the XP CD on this machine, you can't legally install it on two machines at the same time. You will need two CD Keys, one for each computer.