Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Boot Up is slow...

• Please log in to reply

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

Do you have any advice on what to look for in a desktop

Oh, boy.....lot of choice....what's your budget?

Advertisements

CWP

CWP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I feel an ouch coming!

I'll probably have about $1,000 in the camcorder I am researching....so I'll probably want to keep my computer budget around $1300 or less. The company I work for has a deal with Dell, so there's an option. But I hear that Dell uses cheaper parts. I have also heard that the fans are really loud.

Edited by CWP, 28 February 2009 - 02:55 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
$1,300 is a LOOOOOOOT with today's prices. Computers are cheap.
I don't want to talk about the brand, because, in many cases, it's a matter of personal opinion.
Personally, I'm HP/Compaq guy.

I don't know, when you're planning to buy the machine, but, if you buy any Vista computer after July 1st (I believe), you're gonna get free upgrade to Windows 7, when it comes out. Also with Vista, you'll have a perfect practice for Win 7, since they look/feel very similar.
I can give some general idea about what you need, and I'm pretty sure, some others will chime in:
- dual core processor
- 2GB of RAM minimum
- 500GB hard drive
- PCIExpress video card with 512MB of RAM (not on-board video)
You should be good to go.