Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

firefox or ie

• Please log in to reply

ttankofish1

ttankofish1

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm not great with the computer and I'm kind of new to this site.I've been reeding alot of stuff on this site and see alot about firefoxIs it a repacement for internet explorer and is it better?If so why?Also can both be used,like if I switched to firefox can my wife stay with ie?Thanks for your ideas.Great site

Advertisements

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Hello, :).. I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can.

I've been reeding alot of stuff on this site and see alot about firefoxIs it a repacement for internet explorer and is it better?

Firefox isn't a replacement, it is an alternative. Firefox is a browser that is more secure, faster, and safer. But it comes down to opinion if it is better than another browser.

If so why?

Firefox is more secure, and less vulnerable. It is faster and it is (in my opinion) easier to use.. There are many more reasons why one could say that Firefox is better, but there's really now reason for me to continue...

Also can both be used,like if I switched to firefox can my wife stay with ie?

Yes, definitely! In fact, it is nearly impossible to get rid of Internet Explorer without harming your computer. Besides that, Internet Explorer is still required to do certain online scans and to update Windows. So you have to keep Internet Explorer. Firefox and Internet Explorer can be used together on one computer without any damage, no worries there!

Thanks for your ideas.Great site

Your welcome! I think this is a great site too!

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
+1 for Firefox here.

I just wanted to add, so you full understand, that you can even have both open at the same time if you wished. An example may be your wife wants to keep IE open while you get on real quick and pay the bills using firefox. Like piano9playa5 said, it is an alternative. You don't have to just pick one or the other.

Here is a link to download Mozilla Firefox.

ttankofish1

ttankofish1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks again,I think I will try it and see what I think.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
You can always take it off if you don't like it.

In case you don't know, this is what you do.

START >> CONTROL PANEL >> ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS >> Look for FIREFOX >> Click on CHANGE/REMOVE > Follow the instructions for uninstalling.

Good Luck!