Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble with computer and telephone

• Please log in to reply

Maddie

Maddie

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello,

Can someone please help me stop my computer from coming on when my phone rings? I touched the "Fax" icon one day, and even though I have tried to delete this I wonder if this is causing my problem, and how do I stop this?

Also twice today the phone rang and then my pc was not only turned on but my pc had logged itself on the internet! ( I think there is a ghost in my pc? )

Any help someone gives me will be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Maddie

Edited by Maddie, 26 February 2009 - 04:46 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is typically caused by an option in the BIOS entitled "Wake on Ring" which for reasons that nobody really understands, is often on by default. Turn this option off (and its variants, such as Wake on LAN) and the problem should be solved.

Maddie

Maddie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

This is typically caused by an option in the BIOS entitled "Wake on Ring" which for reasons that nobody really understands, is often on by default. Turn this option off (and its variants, such as Wake on LAN) and the problem should be solved.

Thank you for your reply, however I do not know where to go in my pc to check this "wake up on ring" service.

Can you guide to that program?

Thank you again.

Maddie