Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XPS M1530 *EXTREMELY* HOT

• Please log in to reply

Dirttay

Dirttay

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This is overall a great computer, but it overheats and then turns itself off..with no warning. Which I can understand, for safety purposes but WHY? I have 3GB Ram, my computer shouldn't Idle at over 100 degrees. Now I don't know if this temperature is correct, but I can't hold my hand on the top of the computer, where the speakers are for more than 20 seconds without getting a tiny feeling from the heat..

I can hear the fan, and barely feel air coming out..Also it's not like im playing games, I'll have itunes up and be surfing the internet and it will start heating up rapidly..

please help!

sorry if I seem frustfrated, I'm thinking of calling Dell and having them fix it, but I can see them taking *forever* (couple weeks) to fix it. Seeing as I need it for school I really can't not have a computer for 1-3 weeks.

anyways yeah, thanks in advance.

--------------DXDIAG------------------
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 2/26/2009, 23:52:09
Machine name:
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: XPS M1530
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A12
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 3070MB RAM
Page File: 1236MB used, 5102MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8400M GS
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

--------------PICTURES---------------

Posted Image

** NOTE, Maybe this TEMP is wrong, honestly I don't know, it gets REALLY Hot, but again, I'm not sure.

Posted Image

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If it's under Dell warranty, back up anything important and send it back to Dell. Why should you have to put up with something that doesn't work and why should you pay to fix it when it'll be done for nothing? A laptop that is hot to the touch is not normal behaviour by any stretch of the imagination.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

...where the speakers are for more than 20 seconds without getting a tiny feeling from the heat..

I can hear the fan, and barely feel air coming out...

This sounds to me like a clogged heatsink. Try getting a can of compressed air and blowing out the fan at the bottom and ALL of the vents see if that helps.

Unfortunately, if it is TOO clogged (I have pulled out clogs that literally looked and where as dense as gray felt) you have to take it apart and remove it manually (this is a send it to dell issue if you still have warranty).

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
ACTUALLY, you are in luck. It is under its own door in the back.

http://support.dell....l.htm#wp1084976

This is the DELL factory manual on how to remove the CPU/Thermal assemply.

Dirttay

Dirttay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay, thanks for the help. Should I contact Customer support to see if I am under warranty? I would follow that manual, but I want to try and avoid going internally. I will try blowing air into it also.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
This should not void your warranty as the memory modules are underneath that shield and upgrading your RAM almost never voids your warranty. It wouldn't hurt to call customer service and check first.

If you ARE NOT. Then I wouldn't bother with blowing the vents out from the outside. It is MUCH more effective to clean the heatsink and fan with an old toothbrush, cotton swabs etc. The steps are relatively easy to follow.

dinotech

dinotech

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Use the Dell Chat feature instead of calling...I've had a lot of success there. Be specific about your problem, and make sure they understand it from YOUR point of view. Most of the problems I have had, have been resolved through Chat.

Dino

Dirttay

Dirttay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I contacted them through the chat and they recommended a tech come to my house and replace the part, so I don't have to worry about it as they have much more experience.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Hopefully, this won't cost you anything.

dinotech

dinotech

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Pedro,

If Dell sends out a tech, it is only under warranty. They don't send out anyone outside of warranty which is why most businesses usually go with one of the three major computer manufacturers: HP, Dell, and Acer.

Of course, whether to warranty a laptop or not is a larger discussion for a different forum! :)

Dirttay

Dirttay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Good to hear, I was thinking that it would be free because if it wasn't I would just send it in because I did have warranty.