Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer stuck on the "BIOSTAR" first page

• Please log in to reply

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Okay, so we had this old computer sitting at work unplugged for the longest time. My boss about 6 months ago bought the office a new PC because this old one was giving us problems.

Well, anyways, I asked my boss if I could have his old "garbage" PC. He said, Yes, I brought the hard drive home last night. This morning, I hooked it up and I can't seem to get past the First page, the screen says "BIOSTAR" and that's it. Any ideas on how I can get past that first page.

The reason I wanted this old computer is so I could have an old computer that I could play around a bit and hopefully get to know computers better. I don't want to experiment on my good home computer. So, I got this old one in hopes of expanding my knowledge and whatnot.

However, I can't get past the first page. :) any ideas??

Advertisements

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
You said you brought that hard drive home.
I'm going to assume you installed the hard drive in your machine. Correct?

You can't just install a Hard drive from another computer.
Microsoft 's registry keep's information about the hardware, when Windows is installed.
Even if you did get past your current problem, you would see the BSD. (Blue Screen of Death)
Because the registry entry in old Drive doesn't match your current hardware.

That being said.

I used to do what you're doing a long time ago.

Do this, set the jumpers on both of the hard drives to master.
Connect the ribbin cables.
(just so I could remember which was which, I always put my Real Drive, on top, my Play drive underneath.)

Plug the power into the drive you want.
ie. Real drive or Play drive , NOT both.

Since you're trying to set up the Play drive, plug the power into that one.
Put a Windows CD in your CDROM/DVD.

Set the System Bios to boot from CDROM First.
Save settings.

System will boot, start reading the CD and start installing windows.

If you need further help, let me know.

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I'm sorry, Let me clarify. I did not connect the hard drive to my good hard drive (I'd be afraid to do so in case this other hard drive is infected with any nasties.) I simply just plugged the hard drive into the wall and connected the monitor it came with. So, basicly, it's running on its own, completely seperate.

I recall when it did this at work my boss said the "heck with it" and bought himself a new PC. I'm not even sure what kind of hard drive this one is. I do remember he had it custom built. Anyhow, I'm thinking it still has Windows XP on it because after it initially locked up on him (he couldn't get passed this BIOSTAR page) so he gave up on it. Now, I have it and am going to attempt to fix it but I feel useless by not getting past the BIOSTAR page.

I'm running this old PC by itself. After I verify it has no bugs in it then I will probably network it with my good home PC. I first want to be able to get passed the BIOSTAR page while running the PC as its own.

I hope I make sense... :)

Thanks for your Response :)

I do know when he had this problem that he took it to some computer tech and had several new items put in the hard drive including a new motherboard and increased memory among other things :) As far as I'm aware nothing in this hard drive was uninstalled (ie. Windows XP) After the boss brought it back from the PC Tech it locked up (BIOSTAR SCREEN) and the boss just had enough and then bought a whole new PC and this one just sat in the office for like 6 months. I hope this info helps.

Thanks again! :killcomp:

Edited by countryboypride77, 27 February 2009 - 10:27 AM.

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Well, the PC finally allowed F8 to work but the windows XP screen went to some blue screen (not the blue screen of death) It looks like the installation screen on the right side of the screen it says:

o Collecting Information
o Dynamic Update
o Preparing installation
o Installing Windows
o Finalizing installation

The top three items the circles are filled with a green dot
the bottom two circles are empty.

Then immediately after that screen showed up, a small pop up titled "Insert Disk" is telling me to install the CD labeled "Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD" then click okay.

So, I guess I need to track down the xp home disc at work. The new PC at work has XP Pro installed. I thought XP Home had a special Windows Recovery option? I wonder if I go thru my home PC to Windows Anytime Upgrade or whatnot and see if I'm eligible for a discounted XP Home Edition since I'm running the Vista Home Premium. Or would it be legitimate to try and use my "Reinstallation DVD" that I have for my good PC which is Vista? I don't know. What are my Legal options here?

Now since I've got past the BIOSTAR page I think I should be over in the XP Forum...

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
FYI, I know you said you were learning.
This is just to help you along.

One of the key area's of technical computer support is termonlgy.

The Hard Drive is the component inside your PC used to store data.

When you said you plugged your hard drive into the wall and connected your moniter to it.
I'm sitting here thinking, OMG he just electrocuted himself.
Glad to hear that wasn't wasn't the case. :)

As for legal options, you can only install XP home.
Best bet is to find the CD at work.
Why,
There are two flavors, OEM and Retail.
The product key- should be on the side of the box.
Matches one OR the other.

You'll know if you have the right disc when it gets to the point where it asks you for it.
If it say's invalid CD key, it's the other flavor.
(Be Very careful when typing in the key. It will say the same thing if you miss type)

Have Fun!

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Thanks for the info and I'm happy I didn't electocute myself either :)

Anyhow, something really odd just happened...I was finally able to enter Windows safe mode. So, I restarted the PC again and it went straight into the normal mode of Windows. I didn't really do anything to it. Weird. Well, I'm currently running the check disk and will take it from there. If this comes out okay. I think all I'll need to do is to use I guess a Network so I'll be able to access the internet. Thanks again for your information. :)

Edited by countryboypride77, 27 February 2009 - 04:43 PM.

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Sounds like your on your Way!

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
:) Seems as if I'm back to where I started. I ran a Check Disk...it said it was clean. I went to eat something and comeback, restart the PC and now it's stuck on that dang BIOSTAR front page. I can't seem to get it to go to the Safe Mode either by pressing the F8 button. I'm at a loss. I don't know how to get past this first page of the boot.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
This sounds to me like a hardware problem. Does the computer make any beeps when it starts up?

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
it makes one beep right after I first power it on just before the BIOSTAR screen comes up

Edited by countryboypride77, 27 February 2009 - 08:51 PM.

Advertisements

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
A beep on boot is usually a Bad memory Stick.
Can Also be bad video.

Edited by isimaster, 01 March 2009 - 12:28 AM.

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I ended up opening the tower up, nosing around. I unhooked and rehooked the plug in thingy's. Powered PC on and it came right on. I haven't had any issues since. I've rebooted several times, no problems, no beeps at start up. I haven't tried powering off and power on yet anyways, as of right now it seems to be coming on fine. It's slow but thats because it's infected with nasties, so hopefully I won't have no more start up problems. ***knocks on wood***

Thank you for your Responses. :)

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Power it off and back on.
A Reboot doesn't power off memory.
Nows the time to see if you have issue's.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Sometimes just reseating all boards and cables is enough to make them work.

Since you are learning, pay attention to the terminology (as already stated).
You have hard drives, CD drives, data cables, power cables, case fans, CPU fans and heat sinks, etc).

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Sometimes just reseating all boards and cables is enough to make them work.

Since you are learning, pay attention to the terminology (as already stated).
You have hard drives, CD drives, data cables, power cables, case fans, CPU fans and heat sinks, etc).

Thank you. This is why I was excited that my boss gave me this old PC (that technically was rebuilt) that way I will feel more comfortable examining the insides of the tower. To learn more about the motherboard, hard drive, RAM etc...and all other parts associated with the Computer as a whole.

That way, I can leave my Dell PC alone. :)