Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

The power to my USB, KBD, Video, and sound shuts off

• Please log in to reply

worldradiostar

worldradiostar

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Help!! I know it's overdone, but help?

The problem I'm having is that after a period of time, my laptop shuts off, but not completely. I just lose power to my USB slots, keyboard, video, and audio. Screen goes black, and my USB mouse shuts off. Thing is, it doesn't shut down. Processor is on, fans on, even my wireless lan connection. Hard drive is still on as well. I'm at my wits end.

I've tried lots of anti-virus stuff, anti-malware, spyware, bootsector, memory tests...you name it.

Clues as to what is causing the problem?

It only does this when I watch streaming video/audio, or run an intense program. Web browsing doesn't usually do it, but if I get into overly-graphical pages it shuts everything off.

Thanks so much, anyone that can give me some help, or at least an avenue to persue.

WRS

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Sounds like your laptop is overheating. Have you tried cleaning out the vents with compressed air?

In my signature is a program called Mobile Meter. Its a stand-alone program which can tell you what temp your CPU is running at. Set it up to monitor at 1 second intervals, and keep it "on top", then do something that would cause the problem to surface, and check the CPU temp. If your laptop is overheating, then the computer is probably freezing up due to heat.