Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

question regarding Vista Home Premium

• Please log in to reply

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I posted in the hard drive forum first because I thought I was have hard drive issues...My original post can be found Here

Quick Summary: I have an old PC that originally had XP Home on it. Apparently, it no longer is on it but my PC keeps going to the XP Installation screen. I was wondering is it legitimate to be able to use my "Reinstallation DVD" from DELL which is the Vista Home Premium 32-bit when I purchased my good PC? I have the Reinstallation DVD as well as the Key or what would my other options be for the old PC that I'd like to use for experimental purposes? Do I have to buy a new XP Home cd...or since on my good PC I already have Vista Home Premium am I eligible for a discounted version that I could purchase through my good PC and save it to a CD and then run it on the old PC? I don't know...

Any advice or help would be Greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

NOTE: I'm looking to stay legal, NOT interested in anything illegal. I'm just a poor boy hoping I don't have to purchase a new OS at full price since I already paid the price when I bought my DELL.

Edited by countryboypride77, 27 February 2009 - 11:53 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
nope....the recovery disk that came with your new computer is ONLY licensed for the new computer...it cannot legally be used on any other machine

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Thank you.

Now I'm really confused (not with what you stated)

I just started that old PC in Safe Mode and it came up in Safe Mode. I now see my desktop, icons, start menu and the clock. Since I'm able to start in Windows Safe Mode does that not indicate that Windows is already installed in the PC? I knew Windows was never uninstalled when it first was having issues. Should I try to use System Restore to see if I can start Windows Normally? Also, I think I am in the wrong Forum again...I'm sorry sorry. This old PC uses XP Home Edition.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you could give the system restore a shot..

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I am clueless as to what happened...I clicked on Restart...it shut down...on the reboot I was pressing F8 but instead of going to the Advanced Options screen it went to the Windows User log in page...I typed the password to access Windows and Now I'm logged into Windows Normal mode. woooooo hoooooooooooooo

Didn't have to use restore...Weird but in this case Weird works for me...

I guess case closed.......Thanks for your Responses. :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehe not quite....i'd run a check disk (open my computer, right click on the c:\ drive and choose properties, then click tools tab and press the check now button, put a mark in both boxes and press ok...it will ask to run it on reboot...say ok and reboot, let this run to completion and report any issues)...i'd also back up anything of importance on the machine

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
sorry for the delay I'm running the Check Disk now and I'll check back. Thanks. I did attempt to get an internet connection with no avail. I'll report back after the disc check is done. :)

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Check Disk finally finished and said the files and C: drive were clean...I guess this is it then. Although the PC is extremely slow at bringing up my log in page. I'm going to see if I can connect to the internet now and then if I can I'll be running virus/malware scans and enabling AV and Firewall. :)