Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SHDOCVW.dll Problem

• Please log in to reply

kleeo

kleeo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This is for my sister's computer. She is running windows XP proffessional. When she tries to log in a window pops up and says SHDOCVW.dll cannot be found. Try re-installing the application. Okay, so here's the big problem: There is only her wallpaper on the desktop. No icons, no start menu, no taskbar. The mouse moves freely around the screen but nothing happens. I tried to run in safe mode, but the only thing that happend was a black screen. The only thing that functions is contol-alt-delete which brings up a box with the options of log off, change password, shut down, start task manager, or cancel. How can she re-install missing apps when she is completely locked out? Any info will be helpful.

Advertisements

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Hello! :) This is going to be tricky, but we should be able to get the job done from the Task Manager!

Can you please start up normally and get to the stage where you just have the wallpaper again?
  • Once there follow through these steps:
  • Press Ctrl + ALT + Delete and start the Task Manager
  • On the Applications tab, click the New Task... button
  • Then click Browse...
  • Use the drop-down menu next to the text Files of type: and select All Files
  • Now, locate to C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i368
  • Find the file shdocvw
  • Right-click shdocvw and select Copy
  • Now locate to C:\WINDOWS\System32
  • Right-click on an empty space there, and select Paste
  • You're done, so you can just cancel your way out.
  • Restart the computer for the changes to take effect

Post how it went!