Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

usb's not working hp laptop, reformatted, reinstalled windows, not

• Please log in to reply

cc2001

cc2001

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
hello everyone
i have a hp ze 2000 laptop pc, windows xp. This computer goes mobile with me on the road, i use my cellphone as a modem, so it gets alot of plugging in and unplugging from the usb's. Recently both stopped working, first one, and a little later the other, i have reformatted with factory disk, which re installs windows, also deleted my hard drive partition and reinstalled a standalone copy of windows xp. Nothing helps, could anyone help me troubleshoot this, i really rely on this computer, and you guys have been great with my previous issues.

thanks
chris

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if they're heavily used ports they could have physically gone bad...i assume you've tried more than one usb device in all the ports right?

cc2001

cc2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I have found the problem, i removed enough screws to barely crack the case open and the ports are basically broken off inside, one actually fell out, if i could get the new ports I think i could resolder them, i do have some experience with this from my electronics engineering course, but getting the computer apart enough to do this seems very difficult, any advice?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
remember everything you take off if you take the thing apart...also remember you're soldering on a multilayer board so watch your heat on the iron

cc2001

cc2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
would any usb socket do, or do they change as the newer models come out, I mean is there any special info I need to purchase these?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not a clue really...i'd imagine they're universal except for the size and orientation of the ports...depending on how the ones you've got seperated from the board you might be able to reuse them

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
As I have done a good amount of laptop dissassembly and reassembly I can help you a little here with a few tricks.

First, one tip is DIXIE cups. THose little drinking cups if you are outside the US. As you remove screws put them in labeled dixie cups based on where they came from. So say, Keyboard, EMI Shield, Base, Display, Modem and so on. Then order the cups in the order you removed the screws so that they can help you remember how to put it back together.

Next, for soldering, make sure you have a good high heat soldering iron. Multilayer boards often have a ground layer that is almost solid copper. This means there is a piece of metal the size of your board. You need a good wattage soldering iron (35W or higher). The reason being, it is better to have really hot for a short amount of time versus having to let it build up to that temperature.

Oh yeah one more thing. If something doesn't work after you have put the device back together, take the thing back apart as far as you had previously and put it back together. Just today I was working on my wife's laptop and the keyboard refused to work. Took out the keyboard and replaced it like 20 times, no lock. So I said screw it and took it all the way apart, noticed I forgot to reconnect a fan cable (no at all related to the keyboard) put it back together, everything works fine. Go figure.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 27 February 2009 - 05:58 PM.