Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Defrag issue

• Please log in to reply

auscrank

auscrank

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi All,
After I have defragged I’m left with a lot of fragmented files. Also my free space has reduced from 35/37GB now down to 20.56GB; I guess this is will be from all the red files.
Posted Image

Ok here is the lead up to this point.
I’m now in BKK Thailand and I’m a heavy all day user just like I was back home in Oz. Normally my internet runs fine all day and night up until around 5 or 6 o’clock pm. I think the traffic gets very heavy over here and my system starts to muck up. What happens is I can not load a page from explorer icon or any where else. So what I have been doing is opening a new window from existing open window and from there navigate to where ever. If I leave my system running and not use it around this time of the day it gets worse, like even a new window will not work so I just use what’s opened. Status (internet icon) shows packets are sent but not receiving. Then I have been doing a system restore on a daily basis back to a date that I know works but this date is now last month 13th. After restore all is well but restores have been taking longer and longer. I guess 2/3hrs.
I think this is one problem which I want to address and I think this may have something to do with all the fragmented files.
Any thoughts?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Welcome

All of the restores, page errors, restarting have given you all of the fragmented files. This is not good.

I recommend you try and defrag thru safe mode (F8 on startup).
Start it before you go to bed because it will take ages to complete.

auscrank

auscrank

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi 123Runner thx for the reply,

I probably spent more time talking about lead up then what I have done. I have done a defrag in safe mode with same out come as 4 defrags in normal operating mode.
Also tried defrag on boot with PageDefrag, Copyright © 1998-2000 , Mark Russinovich , SysInternals - www.sysinternals.com with same outcome.
So any other thoughts?

I did some reading at this site about connectivity and read about shutting down system unplug modem and wait then redo and turn system back on. This is what I would do back home when I lost connection with internet using an ADSL modem.
So last night about ten o’clock I lost connectivity again but this time instead of restoring I turned off my system unplugged the USB to HPNA/Ethernet adapter (supplied to me by apartment manager) Turn my system back on and waited till it was fully back up and then plugged adapter back in and BINGO it worked.
Is it ok to do it like this for now?
Not right but better then another restore.

Pretty obvious I’m a newbie to this site and pretty much any other type of forum.
I do have two questions going at once about my com problems, is this OK?
Or is it better I start another thread for connectivity?
Rgds

auscrank

auscrank

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well I don't know how or why but this is what I see when I went to defrag today.

Posted Image

Wish I new how but I don't.

Edited by auscrank, 01 March 2009 - 07:12 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
If it was that bad, multiple defrags will be needed.
I have done it 5 times on a laptop from my brother, but in the process I have found other issues.