Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New HD OlD CPU

• Please log in to reply

Websenseblues

Websenseblues

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My childrens HP hd crashed, so I ordered a new 80gb HD to install. My question is since its an HP it came with windows already on it. I dont have any discs for this comp. Will I need some? A separate copy of windows? I have another HP with Discs will those work? Is there any way to pull the data from the crashed HD? Never done this with the C drive have replaced the slave a couple times. Thx in advance

Advertisements

Websenseblues

Websenseblues

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
bump

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Welcome to geeks to go.

Please do not bump the topic. It will look like someone is helping you already.

Your best bet is to get the recovery discs from HP. There will be a minimal charge. They will be specific to that computer.
Using discs from another HP is not allowed due to the licensing. The OS can only be installed on 1 computer.
Besides, even though you think they are identical, they are not exact. A recovery CD has everything for that unit including drivers that are board specific.

There are ways to get the data off the drive provided that it is not a physical crash.
If it is a physical/ mechanical crash you might get some off. Just depends how bad.

Slave the drive to another computer or put it in a external enclosure.