Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problems Downgrading to XP Pro SP2 from Vista

• Please log in to reply

F57

F57

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys, i have a Laptop HP Pavilion DV 2315 nr with a AMD Turion64x2 processor and graphics by Envidia.
I wanted to downgrade to XP Pro SP2 so i booted from CD and chose to use the same partition. The XP CD (original not a copy) started installing taking like an hour and when the system started copying files my problems began.
I got the message "can not copy Wmilib.sys" so i retried by pressing enter, nothing, same message so i skipped. It copied some more and then again same message but for a different file. I wrote down all the files wich i'm gonna show later but at the end when it told me to restart i got to see the Windows XP starting windows screen and right a way i get a blue screen displaying an error.
What can i do know? even if i get the files below how do i install them because i can't go to Windows. My Vista is gone also because i deleted the partition. I can reinstall Vista that's not a problem but i really want XP.
Does it mean that my laptop is not XP compatible?

Anyway, i'm going to write all the files in the order they appeared so somebody can tell me what to do which i'll really appreciate:

wmilib.sys
windows.cnt
windows.hlp
winfax.dll
winhelp.exe
winhelp.hlp
winhlp32.cnt
wininstp.chm
minmsd.exe
winspool.exe
winstrm.dll
wmic.chm
wmifltrw.chm
wmiprop.dll
wmiscmgr.dll
windw.chm
wininet.dll
wldap32.dll
win32k.sys
winsrv.dll
wintrust.dll
winmm.dll
winscard.dll
wkssvc.dll
wlnelify.dll or wlnolify.dll
winspool.drv
winntbbu.dll
wmasf.dll
wmp.dll

This are all of them.

Please help.......

Advertisements

F57

F57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Finally i was able to fix it by finding another copy of XP pro and used nlite to make a bootable cd. I was able to downgrade to XP Pro with SP2 with the only problem that i didn't have the driver for the nvidia video card and no sound either. The problem is that HP doesn't have those drivers for windows xp for this computer model, only for Vista.I started receiving all the updates from Windows Update and when SP 3 was downloaded, i got the wonderful message telling me that a new hardware was found. SP 3 came with the driver for the video card and the one for the sound and everything is fine now.