Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I know whats wrong with my sound, but I dont know how to fix it!

• Please log in to reply

Boxybrown

Boxybrown

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Alright, to start off here, I am an A+ certified tech and have isolated the problem, but dont really know how to go about fixing it.
Ive had this laptop for about 2 months now, so its still under warranty but I really dont want to send it back. Basically, heres whats going on.

This is a Gateway M-7315U laptop with the little quick touch lighted volume and media buttons at the base of the lcd. After about 6 weeks the volume started going haywire, going down randomly while doing anything on the laptop. Eventually the volume would keep going down until it muted itself. The first thing I did was check for stuck keys. No stuck keys. Then I reinstalled the drivers about a hundred times. No driver issues. Then I started noticing that the volume wouldnt really mess up, until I touched the laptop or if I bumped it. Long story short I isolated it to a point just above the F8 key where, if the volume would start going down (and the little blue minus button was lit up) I could press really hard above the F8 key and it would stop. This told me it was a hardware issue (obviously). So I have the little panel taken off of my laptop and have figured out, that gateway has (very inconveniently) 2Ive wires just below that volume down button that constantly rest against the underside of the volume down key, effectively keeping it permanently going down. So, Ive tried to scoot the wires but they wont really move, and it seems like I need some sort of hard object as kind of a separater to keep the touch buttons from making contact with those wires.

Any suggestions, or am I going to have to send it back?
Thanks in advance.

-Boxybrown

Advertisements

Boxybrown

Boxybrown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Almost forgot, if anyone knows how to just disable the little panel, that is also fine by me, but I cant seem to find it under my device manager or any driver specifics for it. [bleep], I cant even find the model of the device or its real name.

flexa

flexa

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I found another solution for this problem:

(takem from http://forum.noteboo...amp;postcount=3)

I had the same problem and discovered that two wires (black and white) are routed directly under the “–“ touch sensor. These wires exert enough pressure to decrease the volume. The touch strip can be easily removed with some care by snapping it out of place starting at a front corner and working across the keyboard. I fixed this problem with a short piece of black electrical tape rolled sticky side out around a thin toothpick. With the toothpick removed the compressed tape should be slightly greater than the distance between the bottom of the touch sensor circuit card and the inside of the touch strip panel keyboard side. The wires are routed from under the keyboard toward the back crossing an aluminum tape shield. Place the tape perpendicularly across the wires between the keyboard and the shield. This prevents the wires from contacting the touch strip and is not noticeable when the panel is reinstalled.

It's working, I can testify to that.