Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow loading pages

• Please log in to reply

janlaree

janlaree

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello, My computer takes forever atleast 3-5 min. to load a page. When I ran a scan with my Norton it did not find anything and so I went to a web site called finallyfast.com and it said I had over 1,000 errors from my registry files to fonts and other files, but it wanted me to purchase software to fix them. Is there something I could do besides purchasing some software. Are these viruses? I would apppreciate your help.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Hi and welcome to geeks to go.

The first thing YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO is a registry cleaner.

We will need some more information.
What brand of computer? Such as Dell, HP, home built?
Have you added any software or hardware prior to the slow down?
How much ram (memory) do you have? Go to start/ right click on my computers and choose properties.
How much hard drive do you have?
How much hard drive space is free? Go to start/ open my computer and hover the mouse over the main drive.
When was the last time you cleaned out the internet cache, cookies, and temp files?

janlaree

janlaree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Hi and welcome to geeks to go.

The first thing YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO is a registry cleaner.

We will need some more information.
What brand of computer? Such as Dell, HP, home built?
Have you added any software or hardware prior to the slow down?
How much ram (memory) do you have? Go to start/ right click on my computers and choose properties.
How much hard drive do you have?
How much hard drive space is free? Go to start/ open my computer and hover the mouse over the main drive.
When was the last time you cleaned out the internet cache, cookies, and temp files?

Hi,
My computer is a Compaq 5301RSH
256 MB
150 GB Hard drive
137 GB Free

I have not cleaned the cache, cookie or temp files in a while.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello janlaree

Firstly I would like to point you in the direction of a nice tutorial we have on our site which was made by one of our tech staff.

What makes your machine slow

Next 256mb of ram is the absolute minimum for running Windows XP and I always reccomend at least 512mb or 1gb to be safe. You will be ok for now but I strongly reccomend a ram upgrade when possible and your hard drive is fine.

If after that and your machine is still slow I would like you to get a check done for malware. I reccomend that you post this problem in our malware removal forum. Please read the following topic here and then post your problem here.
Please post your problem there where our experts will be more than happy to assist you :)

If its still slow after that or if no malware is installed I would probably point to the 256mb of ram and consider getting that upgraded.

Edited by wizzy2k5, 06 March 2009 - 06:28 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
adding more ram is cheap and will give you a nice speed bump...

in the meantime...
go to START..RUN...type in MSCONFIG...then click on OK or press ENTER..
click on START UP TAB...uncheck everything EXCEPT your AV and firewall...if its a laptop you have to be careful about what you uncheck or your touch pad and wireless and things like that will not function for you..
google each start up item to decide if you need it to load with windows...unchecking them does not remove them ..they are still available to use...

the next thing we are going to do is turn off indexing ....its a resource hog and if you aren't searching for things on your computer 10 times a day it will only slow down your system....

click on start...my computer...right click on C: drive....properties...on the general tab..uncheck ...allow indexing on this drive....if you do not have the box on your system...

then START...RUN...type in SERVICES.MSC...then OK...scroll down until you find INDEXING SERVICE...click on it and in the general tab set it to DISABLED...then exit

To clean your temp folder, recycle bin, index.dat etc..please download this free tool...

CCleaner

Don't install any Toolbars, or other programs, should it ask you...Just
uncheck the option of installing the Yahoo toolbar....if you get
the slim version it does not have the toolbar
thats the one I recommend...

It will put a shortcut on your Desktop.

Click on CCleaner to start it....
Before first use...
Select Options then Advanced.
UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
The rest of the standard settings are fine...

Then click "Run Cleaner"

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE OTHER TOOLS...RUNNING THEM MAY CAUSE OTHER PROBLEMS

next get diskeeper lite here...

after installing it...click on the icon...close the "nag" screen...click on your c drive to select it ...then down towards the bottom ...click on defragment now...first time you use it it may take 15 to 30 minutes to complete...do it about every two weeks and it will complete in about 7 minutes...
reboot and tell me hows its running...

you do not have to defrag in safe mode with diskeeper lite and its 10 times as fast than the defragger that comes with windows

janlaree

janlaree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks, for all these things wow! my computer is a little faster now... but I think I will need to add more memory. My computer will only hold 256 more memory which will take it to 512. So I will do that in the next day or so. Thanks again and I'll l'll let you know how it goes.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)