Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help setting up a Wifi Usb Adapter on Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

todd198126

todd198126

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone,i'm new to these forums and i'm hoping someone can please help me with my problem.I have tried asking this question in many forums etc and have never been able to find help,so i would beso pleased if anyone can help me here.Well,here goes!-

I recently bought a 54Mbs Wifi Usb Adapter (Made by LM technologies),i bought the Wifi adapter for my Sister who is on Windows XP Home.I bought it so i could set up a simple Wifi conenction for her.She connects to the internet using a Broadband modem (PPP) which connects to the phone line and then to her Pc via usb.

So i installed the Wifi Usb Adapter and the software that runs it,it all installed correctly and created a Wifi connection.The problem is when we try and connect to the Wifi using a various devices such as N95 8gb and Nintendo Ds it dosn't connect to the internet.I'm able to find the Wifi connection (It appears fine as 'Joyce Wifi' which is what i named it) and i have disabled the WEP passwords so thats not an issue just yet,but it does not actually allow us to connect to the internet.

In the software that runs the Wifi Usb adapter it gives me the choice to 'Bridge' to Etherent connection etc.I believe this is my problem,my sister only has a 'High speed broadband' connection i think what i need to do is create a LAN.Although i'm not sure this is the answer as i dont have much experience in this field.But i believe for the Wifi Usb device to work i need to create some kind of bridge?Is this correct?

I have tried to create a Lan connection but it just dosn't connect i even tried bridging this Lan connection with the Wifi connection using a 'Mac miniport bridge'....(i think thats the name if it)

So what am i missing here?I seem to be so close but yet so far.I would so appreciate some help and advice from someone more experienced with this than me.Otherwise i'm just stuck!If you need anymore details or explanations i will reply with them.Thankyou so much,i would be forever in your debt.

Paul

f529_1_b.JPG

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Paul
Welcome to G2G
Lets see If I can help you. By the way I read it you are trying to use your laptop as the Internet access point.
The 1st step is to set the laptop up for ICS .
To use Internet Connection Sharing to share your Internet connection, the host computer must have one network adapter that is configured to connect to the internal network, and one network adapter or modem that is configured to connect to the Internet.

On the host computer
On the host computer, follow these steps to share the Internet connection:
Log on to the host computer as Administrator or as Owner.
Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Click Network and Internet Connections.
Click Network Connections.
Right-click the connection that you use to connect to the Internet. For example, if you connect to the Internet by using a modem, right-click the connection that you want under Dial-up.
Click Properties.
Click the Advanced tab.
Under Internet Connection Sharing, select the Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection check box.
If you are sharing a dial-up Internet connection, select the Establish a dial-up connection whenever a computer on my network attempts to access the Internet check box if you want to permit your computer to automatically connect to the Internet.
Click OK. You receive the following message:
When Internet Connection Sharing is enabled, your LAN adapter will be set to use IP
address 192.168.0.1. Your computer may lose connectivity with other computers on
your network. If these other computers have static IP addresses, it is a good idea to set them
to obtain their IP addresses automatically. Are you sure you want to enable Internet
Connection Sharing?
Click Yes.
The connection to the Internet is shared to other computers on the local area network (LAN). The network adapter that is connected to the LAN is configured with a static IP address of 192.168.0.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0