Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox lost all its bookmarks

• Please log in to reply

Zanki

Zanki

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
I just had to restart my pc because it was acting strangely, although I hadn't turned it off for two days. I closed all my programs and clicked shut down, the pc wouldn't shut down so I turned the power off (it happens often with this pc and has never been a problem in the past). I opened firefox and the add block came up wanting me to register it again which I thought was strange. My theme had gone back to the basic setting even though it was still there. My history is still there but all my bookmarks are gone. I need them because I was in the middle of coursework and I had bookmarked the web sites I need.

I tried to import the the bookmarks since I found a backup but its not worked, the folder is empty and I don't see any of them. I also just got an error message from another program I closed before I shut down my pc, but on reloading its fine.

Edited by Zanki, 28 February 2009 - 01:21 PM.

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hi Zanki,

I think your profile settings are still there.
Can you try this:
http://support.mozil...naging profiles

Zanki

Zanki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I tried to do what it said, but everytime I went to start- run and typed in what they wanted. I then got an error message telling me only one firefox window can be open at a time and doesn't do anything. I checked and that was the only thing running.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Can you check your running processes to see if Firefox.exe is running?

Ctr - Alt - Del > Taskmanager > Processes Tab > rightclick Firefox.exe > End Process > Confirm

Then try to copy the command into the Run Box:

firefox.exe -ProfileManager

Maybe use notepad as an in-between to store the line, if you dont know how to copy it from a closed browser.

Zanki

Zanki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Yes, I checked the taskmanager. It had one running but that was the one I had just opened using start > run.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Strange that. For me it even works when I keep firefox open.

Can you look for the folder with the profiles?
To do so click Start > Run > copy & paste the line below >
%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
> and click OK

Note Application Data is a hidden folder by default. You may have to show hidden files and folders to get to that folder.
In the folder you should see one or two folders with a name ending in .default
Let me know their names and when they were created (rightclick > properties)

Zanki

Zanki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
It has one folder called kcae9ttq.default created 9th January 2008

I know all my bookmarks are in here because I've already found a recent backup of them, but I can't import them back into firefox. I think I've lost them because my system crash made me lose a load of work I had been doing in Painter X, the files are still there but it says there isn't any data.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
I think your best shot would be to make a copy of that folder.
Then completely uninstall and re-install Firefox.
Copy the backed-up folder back into that directory and use the Profilemanager to see if any of your settings were saved.
But it is a bad signe that there is only one folder.
I figured a second one had been created after the powerdown, but I'm afraid the old one is completely lost now.

Zanki

Zanki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I'm guessing it was lost because nothing was saved, thanks for helping me. I had to reinstall a few programs thanks to the crash. I can't believe my second hard drive caused so many problems when it died (luckily I had already backed it up).
Thanks for all the help.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
My pleasure. :)

Too bad it wasn't easy to recover.