Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

No longer boot from optical drive.

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I tried various bootable CD/DVDs which used to work on this optical drive but they are no longer able to boot.

The problem symptom is that 1) CD is completely ignored and OS boots from a HDD, 2) booting process begins but it stalls. There is one kind of bootable CD which still boots which is DOS CD. I switched the optical drive to a new one, but the problem symptom is the same.

Could it be that something happened with the motherboard? Any suggestion is appreciated.

Edit: I found the cause of the problem: I recently added one 1GB RAM stick on top of two 1GB sticks. The one added was removed then the problem gone. I do not know why, because everything else looked normal.

Edited by churin, 01 March 2009 - 12:02 PM.