Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Too many programs on Startup

• Please log in to reply

Aussiecolleen

Aussiecolleen

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello

I have recently had help from Heir removing malware, etc. from my PC which is now running much better, but I think I have unnecessary programs running. Also, I need to know if installing another 1GB of RAM will improve the performance of my PC.

The specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual
Core Processor 3800+
2.01 GHz 960 MB RAM

Hard drive is 186GB, of which 89.7GB is used and 96.5GB is free.

I have run Autorun.exe but the resulting file is 4000KB, which exceeds your limit, so I could not attach it. Am I doing somehting wrong?

Thanks for your assistance.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Are you sure you mean Autorun.exe? This file doesn't generate start-up entries.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• 12,300 posts
Do you mean Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.micro...s/bb963902.aspx

Aussiecolleen

Aussiecolleen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Oops, sorry! I did mean Autoruns for Windows. I was trying to save you guys some time by following instructions that had been given in similar topics. :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
4000KB for the log would be rather unusual.
Can you open saved AutoRuns.txt log to see, if it's readable?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The only place to stop programs from running in the background, without any complications, is in start menu. Click Start > Run. Type msconfig and click selective mode. In startup uncheck everything which is not essential, confirm and reboot.

Many programs push themselves into starup menu. Examples are: printers, cameras, Nero, Skype and a ton of others. Each of these can be started from a desktop icon or from Start > All Programs. The only essential items are those related to antimalware and modem/router.

Aussiecolleen

Aussiecolleen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello

I have rerun Autoruns.exe and exported the file and saved as a .txt file and now it is correct. :) I am attaching herewith.

My main problem is that I don't know which programs are necesssary for windows, etc. and which can be prevented from running at startup.

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
To answer your first question, 1GB of RAM is perfectly enough for XP. Adding another 1GB may improve it only slightly.
However, since your RAM is listed at 960MB, I assume, you have on-board video, taking 64MB out of your basic RAM.
Getting standalone video card with 256, or 512MB of RAM would be your best upgrade here.

Now onto Autoruns....
You have a lot of startups, which slow down your computer. Some of them can be safely disabled (not actual programs will be removed).
Open Autoruns, click on Logon tab.
UN-check following entries:
  • BrMfcWnd
  • ControlCenter3
  • IndexSearch
  • KernelFaultCheck
  • NeroFilterCheck
  • NvCplDaemon
  • nwiz
  • PaperPort
  • PPort11reminder
  • QuickTime Task (*)
  • SoundMan
  • SSBkgdUpdate
  • SunJavaUpdateSched - 2 entries (**)
  • FotoStation Easy AutoLaunch.lnk
  • NkVwMon.exe.lnk
  • CTFMON.EXE (***)
  • MSMSGS
  • Performance Center

(*) Download, and run QuickTime Killer: http://www.softpedia...me-Killer.shtml
After downloading, double click on EnGraphQuickTimeKillerInstaller.msi file.
You may be asked to download, and install .NET Framework
QuickTime Killer will remove QuickTime from start up and kill any running QuickTime processes. This application runs silently at start up and closes itself as soon as it takes care of QuickTime. QuickTime itself won't be removed from your computer, and will be available whenever needed.
NOTE. QuickTime is not a threat, but unnecessary startup, which can't be disabled in any other way.

(**) Keeping Java up to date is important for your computer security, but since those updates come maybe twice a year, there is no reason to run updater on every computer startup.

(***) Download, and run CTFMON-Remover: http://www.gerhard-s.../ctfmonremover/
The CTFMON-Remover helps you removing the annoying CTFMON.EXE from your Windows operating system. The program is easy to use and displays whether the CTFMON.EXE is installed and running or not. If it was found then you can remove it within seconds. Just in case that you need the CTFMON sometime in the future there is also an option to restore the original one.
Note:The CTFMON.EXE is among other things responsible for changing the language schema of your keyboard (e.g. for switching between the German and English keyboard layout). So in case you are using this feature you shouldn't remove or disable the CTFMON.EXE!
NOTE. CTFMON.EXE is not a threat, but unnecessary startup, which can't be disabled in any other way.

I also suggest, you uninstall Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is known resource hog, and switch to FoxIt: http://www.filehippo...oxit/changelog/

Restart computer for changes to take effect.

Edited by Broni, 03 March 2009 - 12:22 PM.