Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware has taken my computer hostage.

• Please log in to reply

patdel

patdel

• Pip
  • 1 posts
System OS Windows XP SP2.
I have read the must read area and have also gone through many of the others instructions and posts that seem to somewhat relate to my computer's problem. I can't give you much information because I can't seem to do anything on the computer and I mean I can't do anything.

Problems began about two weeks ago as my daughter mentioned the computer was acting funny. Norton's had sent an alert about detecting and eliminating a Trojan. Shortly thereafter, fake security software windows were opening and her homepage was being changed. She also noticed constant Internet transmission even when she was not surfing. As to be expected, her antivirus expired last week and of course at that point all kinds of problems began with odd computer behaviors. She had run scans but all seemed OK. Two days ago she started to get what looked like "Windows" alerts regarding files that would not load or run at startup. She also continued to get the adware windows for the security software. She wrote the name down of one of the files listed as having an error but did not write the others. The name was "cxfagn.exe" and the alert said there was a problem with it and you could click OK, Cancel, Debug or X the window out. That seemed really odd so I looked up the file name from another computer on the Internet only to find it is the name of a virus. After that the computer has been experiencing all kind of problems and she was told to shut it down until I could look into it.

Well here I am 8 hours later and trying to find answers to this major computer shutdown. I don't mean to be lengthy but I want to include the above info to show the progression of the growth of whatever is eating my machine. I have followed the instructions from the "Must read this" but I am limited as to what the computer will allow me to do. Below is what was tried, what was done and what can not be done.

When I turned the computer on today I first tried to scan the computer; Nortons Internet Security will not scan or work at all. I then tried to go back to a Restore Point; but the utility will not work. I then booted into Safe Mode; still nothing would work. I can not access the Internet because the computer shows the network not connected and no matter what I do, I can not get on the Internet . The computer does not recognize my optical drives, nor does it recognize all the USB ports.

Using another computer I downloaded several of the programs you recommended in your instructions onto a CD and a flash drive so I could install and try them on the computer when necessary. Needless to say, the computer would not recognize the CD drive so I used the Flash drive. It took several tries to get them copied onto the computer desktop but eventually did so. After all of that, they won't install. Each time I try to install the programs either nothing happens at all (I tried all which ways) or I get a Windows Reporting message that the program has encountered a problem and needs to close and asks if I want to report it. It looks just like Windows Reporting window and yet it doesn't quite look just right. Anyway I just can't seem to install anything no matter what I do.

It seems that this computer has been infected with more than just one virus. Looking at some of the other posts in the forum I did some searching for a few of viruses/trojans mentioned and did happen to find the cxfagn.exe file in the root drive but I didn't want to do anything until I posted my problem first to see what you suggest. I'm sorry I can't give you more info but the computer does not want to follow any commands. I am at my wits end. THough I do back up my data files I would still hate to lose everything with a reformatt.

Can anything be done or is my computer "toast" ??

Thank you

Pat

Advertisements