Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP doesn't open - NEW PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply

thedarkprince

thedarkprince

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi,

I'm a first time user so will need a fair bit of help on this.

First of all, i had trojan-spy.html.smitfraud.c on my pc and i was starting to perform the first steps of the clean up (ad-aware, AVG, etc...). After the AVG scan and clean-up an error message appeared but before i could make a note of it, the pc shut down.

When i came to reboot the pc, Windows XP froze. However, i can log on in safe mode.

Is there anyway i can fix this?

The other problem is that i don't have the XP disc as it was pre-loaded on to my pc. I'd have to take it back to the shop if its needed and they'd probably charge me a small fortune!

Thanks in advance :tazz:

Edited by thedarkprince, 09 May 2005 - 01:39 PM.

Advertisements

Dæmon

Dæmon

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm not totally sure if it'll work, but it's worth a try..

Boot up in safe mode, go into My Computer and right-click on the c: drive. Select properties. Under the 'Tools' tab, click 'Check Now' under error checking.

If it tells you that it will schedule a disk check for when the computer is started again, reboot.

thedarkprince

thedarkprince

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
No joy with that i'm afraid. The same thing happened when it rebooted.

The thing i don't understand is how it loads up in safe mode but not normally?! Is there anyway of finding out what files are missing/corrupt?

Thanks for your help anyway Daemon :tazz:

p_mii_nawy

p_mii_nawy

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
do you know where the trojan is? ie c:\program file\ etc. if you know where it is try kill box. here is a link to one of my post.
http://www.geekstogo...01
it is post 4. try that. also make sure that when you do it, be in safe mode.
PMN

thedarkprince

thedarkprince

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I can only open in Safe Mode so cannot download anything and unfortunately it's not a program i have downloaded before.

Can i run a manual search for it? Or would it not come back with anything? Or is there a common place where this file can be found, seeing as so many people seem to have the same trojan?

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
you should be able to loggon in safe mode with networking enabled. that way you cn at least download the file. as far as reinstalling xp all you need is a os disk from anywhere to reinstall it. there has to be someone you know with a copy. there should be a license number on the side of yur box for your xp edition. once you get a hold of a install cd use that license number as the key. if your running pro i guarentee there's a disk of pro lying in the bottom of someones drawer. ask the IT guy to burn you a copy...if he starts stressing tell him about the license number. Don't take any guff from those swine...

thedarkprince

thedarkprince

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Yeah, i've got the XP license number on the front of the pc, i just assumed i'd need the exact same disc for it to work.

Well, i'll try and get hold of one and see what i can do.

Will logging on in safe mode with networking definitely allow me to d/l the file? Am at work at the moment so will not be able to try until i get home at 3pm GMT.

Thanks for your help :tazz:

thedarkprince

thedarkprince

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I can't seem to open in Safe Mode with Networking (or whatever its called). I can only open in just the normal Safe Mode.

As for the XP disc, i found out that i received a HP disc which contained XP and and all most of the other software. Unfortunately, i can't find it now (it was 3 years ago ;) )

So does anyone else know what i can do? Is there a scan i could do to find out the missing/corrupt file(s)? At least then i could copy the file from my brother's laptop and see if that would work :tazz:

You never know, it may work.... ;)

thedarkprince

thedarkprince

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Ok, new problem which i think is a bit of a showstopper ;)

Now i can't seem to even open up XP in Safe Mode ;) I get the message saying Windows can't open because Windows\System32\config\system is missing.

The thing i really need to know is can i copy the file from the latop (my brother's - no XP disc either :) ) onto a CD and then copy it in to the appropriate folder? I would need some instructions on this though.

A quick response would be great people :tazz:

p_mii_nawy

p_mii_nawy

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
you will not be able to copy that because windos uses it for somethig and is locked when you are running any pc. there is a program called ERDNT, that backs up the system and lets you copy any system file ie: sam, system and all the good stuff in there. i think that it is a bad idea if you copy the system file fropm the laptop to your pc. they are different and could mess up your stuff. you really need to get a hold of the xp cd to repair your system.

Edited by p_mii_nawy, 09 May 2005 - 03:41 PM.

thedarkprince

thedarkprince

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Ok, looks like i'll be giving that a miss then ;)

I guess the search for a cd continues....

Thanks for your help guys :tazz:

thedarkprince

thedarkprince

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Ok, here's the latest development.

I had to do something called a hard-disk recovery, by hitting F10 before Windows tries to load up. I did a non-destructive recovery because I had files that I needed to backup. This all worked fine and I managed to back everything up.

I then decided to run a destructive recovery which basically reformats the hard disk to get rid of any nasty trojans, viruses and spyware still lurking. Here’s where a new problem arose, after it had finished it started to reboot and an error message came up saying:

NTLDR is compressed
Press CTL+ALT+DEL

Any ideas how to get around this?

Cheers guys :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I would do a nother recover, first using a floppy boot disk with fdisk to remove all partitions