Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can any of these programs go?

• Please log in to reply

radiorunner

radiorunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
magglass, i can't read your link for the specs on the compaq because it says i dont have the latest version of adobe flash drive. any other suggestions how to view it?

Advertisements

radiorunner

radiorunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
to magglass/123runner/rschaffer61: i am at a borrowed computer & can view the compaq specs included in magglass' last post but i can't save the document from site where it is posted. any idea how to save it? i wanted to save some stuff about the bios, etc.

can you tell from the photos magglass requested & i attached on 4/13/09 post if this compaq has a hard drive adapter?

this compaq tower has 39 holes/pins on the cable where it attaches to seagate harddrive (see photo in my 4/13/09 post). i reviewed 123runner's links in 4/10/09 post for the 40 & 80 conductor cables, & i apologize, i can't tell if i have a 40 or 80 conductor cable. magglass mentioned in 4/10/09 post i have an 80 conductor cable.

magglass, the link in your 4/10/09 post shows a Western Digital Expert AC313500 13.5 GB ATA-66 hard drive. Can you help me understand how I get my stuff on the currentSeagate HD onto this HD, or does the 2nd harddrive work as a slave drive?

there is a nearby computer shop that has alot of recycled memory boards & hard drives. can you give me an idea of the range of replacement hard drives that would fit in my compaq? (models, bios limitations of my pc, range of size of gb hard drive that will work on this pc, etc?)

thanks!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

this compaq tower has 39 holes/pins on the cable where it attaches to seagate harddrive (see photo in my 4/13/09 post). i reviewed 123runner's links in 4/10/09 post for the 40 & 80 conductor cables, & i apologize, i can't tell if i have a 40 or 80 conductor cable. magglass mentioned in 4/10/09 post i have an 80 conductor cable.

see pic for the difference...
I picked this thread up in the waiting room so instead of rereading the whole topic give me a summary of EXACTLY where your at and what you want..
in the waiting room... your post asked about removing programs..

Edited by happyrock, 04 May 2009 - 10:28 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hello Happyrock

Post 19, 28, and 29 have a lot of info. We have pretty much determined he has a Ipaq legacy free computer with about an 8gb drive.
He is out of hard drive space, limited on ram, and being an Ipaq, can not add another drive unless he clones an image.
Radiorunner's post of uninstalling programs is because he is out of storage. That option went away when we determined what he had.

I myself have stayed in the background due to my limited exposure to cloning.
Based on the research I have done on this he can put in any 3.5 ide drive.

I believe our next step is for him to get a drive (and USB enclosure to put the image on) and clone an image. Since he has USB support, I believe he can do it that way.
This is where your expertise would come in.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
got it ....thanks for getting me up to speed :) 123Runner
your assessment...

I believe our next step is for him to get a drive (and USB enclosure to put the image on) and clone an image. Since he has USB support, I believe he can do it that way.

is right on the money...thats EXACTLY what needs to be done ....it is time consuming but easy to do...
with the price of hard drives being so cheap now...getting a new larger drive and installing it is a no brainer ...

Edited by happyrock, 04 May 2009 - 10:26 AM.

radiorunner

radiorunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
can you helpp me with the following?:

1) if this compaq tower has a hard drive adapter? see photos magglass requested & i attached in 4/13/09 post.

2) there is a nearby computer shop that has alot of recycled hard drives. can you give me an idea of the range of replacement hard drives that would fit in my compaq so i can look for it at the local shop? (models, bios limitations of my pc, range of size of gb hard drive that will work on this pc?)

3) what is: "USB enclosure to put the image on"? and how do I "clone an image"?

thanks!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you will need SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter found here...you would then plug in the new hard drive your going to use to that adapter...then you would boot from the HDClone cd and clone your old drive to the new drive...be sure not to clone it backwards or you will have 2 blank hard drives...
get HDClone here...just the free version...when it about done it will ask if you want it to automatically adjust the partition size or do you want to do it manually...just select auto...after the clone process is done...unplug the computer from the wall remove the old drive and put the new one in its place...making sure to set the jumper on the rear of the drive to master...power up and it should boot up and you will a bunch of free space...
the free version only clones to larger hard drives...if you buy a OLD/USED drive you could have problems in days or weeks or after only a month or 2...do yourself a favor and buy a new drive like this 80 GB here for $35.00...with a THREE YEAR WARRANTY

radiorunner

radiorunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
ok, thanks for your help happyrock. regards

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...