Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

0x0000007a Kernel Data Inpage Error/BSOD

• Please log in to reply

jrsummersill1

jrsummersill1

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hi,

We have a Gateway laptop with Windows Vista that has been experiencing the dreaded blue screen of death. I have disabled restart and here's what the blue screen states:

A problem has been detected... Kernel_Data_ Inpage_Error

Technical Info:

Stop: 0x0000007A (0x042AE58, 0xC0000056, 0x0186F860, 0x855CB985)

Ntfs.sys-Address 855CB985 base at 854-F8000, Date Stamp 4764f079.

Here is the minidump file:

Attached File  Minidump___Shortcut.zip   469bytes   369 downloads

We seem to get the bsod after we are on the internet for about 10 minutes or after trying to install a new program.

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Jenny

Advertisements

jrsummersill1

jrsummersill1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Sorry, I'm not sure the minidump will open with the way I added/compressed it, so I tried a different method. So just in case here it is again:

Attached File  Minidump.zip   457.51KB   349 downloads

Thanks again,

Jenny

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I checked only last few dumps, and they all point to RAM corruption.

Run Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool: http://www.geekstogo...ol-t177564.html

jrsummersill1

jrsummersill1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Broni,

Thanks for the reply. However, now when I boot the computer I only get a black screen with a white cursor. I cannot boot from any safe mode option, either. I also tried to reboot using the last known good configuration option, too. They all three bring me back to the black screen/white cursor. I have tried to use the control-alt-delete option, too, to no avail. This all has happened since I had the last blue screen again and how to power of the computer with the power button. When I powered it back up, it said it didn't shut down properly and asked me if I wanted to run some test (the exact name escapes me at the moment). Any ideas? By the way, I did run the memory test earlier on my own before the current problem and it went through all six tests with no reported problems.

Thanks again,
Jenny

jrsummersill1

jrsummersill1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Also, I remember that it went through a windows update today, too.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
That's why, I want you to create Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool CD, so we can see, if you can boot from it.
The outcome will give us some more info.
Of course, create that CD on working computer.

jrsummersill1

jrsummersill1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hello again Broni,

I will do the memory test again when I go home for lunch. How many passes should I let it go through this time? Can I use the same memory test cd that I created yesterday when I did the memory test?

Also, I noted last night that when I use the F8 key when rebooting, I can get into the recovery console, but I am not sure what option to choose as I hope not to lose any personal data off the computer. Or do you think that I should not try one of those recovery options? I thought about trying startup repair, restore application or command prompt (if I can determine the commands to use), but I just don't know. I tried the others to no avail--system restore, windows complete restore (I thought I had a recovery disk, but I don't), and windows memory diagnostic tool (this is not the same one you are talking about above as I have tried both now).

Lastly, should I try to remove the memory sticks if there is more than one and try to reboot since you believe it is a RAM issue?

Thank you immensely for your knowledge and expertise!

Jenny

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

How many passes should I let it go through this time?

At least 4.

Can I use the same memory test cd that I created yesterday when I did the memory test?

I didn't know, you ran one. What was it? memtest?

should I try to remove the memory sticks if there is more than one and try to reboot since you believe it is a RAM issue?

That's even better, than all software memory tests.

As for recovery console, let's save it for the next step.

jrsummersill1

jrsummersill1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Broni:

It is the memtest. So far it has ran for 9+ passes with no errors. I am going back to work; however, I will try to check out the memory sticks when I get home this afternoon and I will post my results then.

Thanks,
Jenny

jrsummersill1

jrsummersill1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Broni:

Ok, I ran the memtest all afternoon while I was at work. It ran for 80+ passes with no errors. I then alternated with the two memory sticks and had one at a time in and tried to boot the laptop with only one at at time--same black screen with white cursor. I ran the memtest on each individual stick, too, and each had 6+ passes with no errors. I was kind of hoping it was the memory so that it would be a quick easy fix. :) Oh well, what should I do next?

Thank you,
Jenny

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I hope, it's not motherboard problem...
Let's check the hard drive, then...
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

jrsummersill1

jrsummersill1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Is there a way to determine what kind of hard drive it has without opening it up? Also, when I determine the kind of hard drive and create the diagnostic cd, will it automatically run when I boot the laptop?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What's the Gateway model? I can try to find out what hard drive you have.
As for the other question, yes, those tools create bootable CDs.

jrsummersill1

jrsummersill1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
That's ok. I opened it up and found out the information. I will let you know what happens. Thanks.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
OK.