Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Webpage Shortcuts

• Please log in to reply

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Hello Everybody,

I've searched through this Forum as well as the XP forum. My problem I'm having is when I go to a webpage and then I add it to my desktop as a shortcut. As I continue my browsing whether it's using the search engine or browsing the news, or hanging out with the Fine folks of Geeks to go...I then go back to my desktop and see that my shortcut icon has changed. ie: BayNews9 is my local area preferred News. It's Icon is "BayNews 9" well, let's say I then go to "geeks to go!" then back to the desktop. My BayNews9 shortcut icon is now "g" the one for geeks to go. It's text still says BayNews 9 and it still takes me to the correct page... :)

Please help me figure this out it's pretty annoying. I want the Icons to be the same icon that has the unique image of that particular website. :)

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
I think what you are saying is that the desktop icon adapts to the "current" favicon.ico.
That means, the one of the site you are visiting.

I found this topic, which seems somewhat related:
http://forums.mozill...h...7&t=1093765

I think what I would try first, is download the icon (favicon.ico) you want to use, rename it and then change the properties of the shortcut to use the locally saved icon.

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Thanks for the info Metallica :)

I educated myself more on the Favicons. Mine were screwed up somehow because for example my "Y!" shortcut (on desktop) for Yahoo! would change by itself to the "g" icon that belongs to geeks to go! I followed your link and read it and I also continued using some searches in my search engine to learn more about it and how they work.

As I did my educating...I thought, "hmmm...to fix my desk top shortcuts all I think all I need to do is to clean my cache's and everything else by use of the ATF Cleaner" thus far so good. *knocks on wood*

By the way, I think I forgot to mention my issue with the web page desktop shortcuts was for IE7. I figured by using the ATF Cleaner, it would erase whatever error caused it to happen in the first place. I hope I'm right. Oh, I also, saved each page to my "favorites" from my understanding is is that will save the favicon and I shouldn't have another issue like this.

Thanks again!

Edited by countryboypride77, 02 March 2009 - 10:52 AM.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
No problem. Keep us posted. :)

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
:) I get on the PC today and notice my BayNews9 desktop icon is showing the Geeks to Go (g) icon... So, its apparently not fixed yet. I don't understand why it's using the geeks to go icon. geeks to go isn't saved in my favorites or anything. Nothing against geeks to go You guys are Awesome and I do have you bookmarked on my other PC. I must have saved geeks to go favicon in the PC but even if I did, I don't understand why IE7 is getting confused or why IE7 keeps changing the icon. I could live with the generic IE icon IF IE7 changed it to that but that's not the case it's using one sites favicon and putting it on another site. I'm so confused as to why?

My Search for Fix goes on...

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Well, I went to my favorites folder...and seen BayNews9 with the correct icon/favicon. So, I deleted the short cut off of my desk that had the incorrect icon. (Note: my Yahoo and another website icon/favicon are correct and haven't changed, only my BayNews9 icon/favicon changes) I then went back to my favorites and clicked on "send to > Desktop (create shortcut)" I'll see if this works.

I reckon I'll find out whether this fixes it or not...I don't know...