Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

cli.exe error

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello everyone.

Since I reformatted my HDD/reinstalled Windows, I've been getting an error upon start up. My laptop, (a Toshiba Satellite A100-225,) boots up and gets to loading the desktop. I'm able to click on the Start menu, select icons etc. until the error box appears. It contains the following:

cli.exe Common Language Debugging Services

Application has generated an exception that couldn't be handled.

Process id=0xa4 (164), Thread id=0xa0 (160).

Click on OK to terminate the application.
Click on CANCEL to debug the application.

Upon clicking on OK, nothing happens. I'm unable to select any icons, start the task manager etc. The mouse still operates.

if I click Cancel instead, another box appears and says:

cli.exe No Debugger Found

Registered JIT debugger is not available. An attempt to launch a JIT debugger with the following command resulted in an error code of 0x2 (2). Please check computer settings.

cordbg.exe !a 0x90

Click on retry to have the process wait while attatching a debugger manually.
Click on cancel to abort the JIT debug request.

After this appears, I'm unable to click on anything and the only way I can reboot is to turn the laptop off by holding the power button in.

I'm running Windows XP SP2 on a Toshiba Satellite A100-225 with an Intel Centrino Duo processor. It has been suggested to me that maybe the fault lies with my reformat disk, but I wanted to hear some more opinions and maybe a way to fix it if there is one. I can't find how to start my system in safe mode and once the first error box appears, (a few seconds after the desktop loads,) I can't run or select anything.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Edited by Strange, 01 March 2009 - 02:11 PM.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Alright, just a quick update. I've managed to get Task manager to run before the error prompt and I can end the cli.exe process. I also have enough time to get into control panel and try to remove the ATI Catalyst Center which I've figured out is the root of the problem. However, explorer stops responding once I click on Add/Remove Programs; any ideas on how to stop this happening so I can get rid of the program? I've tried doing it in safe mode and it won't let me.