Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU usage at 100% , iexplore.exe is the problem?

• Please log in to reply

smoozyq

smoozyq

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My kids notified me that they are having problems playing their games on the internet. I've been trying to figure out the problem, with little success. I've looked around at these forums, and based on other posts, I ran malware scans ( I can post the results) and virus scans (I have McAfee running on this computer). Haven't found anything yet that tells me what is happening. Basically, things look fine until we open a game and then CPU usage shoots up to 100% and things slow to a crawl. Any help is greatly appreciated because I have no idea what I am doing!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Game on-line?

Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")
- security programs in use (antivirus, firewall)

smoozyq

smoozyq

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok, I hope this is what you are asking for:

Dell Dimension 3000, Intel Pentium 4 CPU, 2.80 GHz, 512 MB of RAM

HD Capacity 71.6 - Used 33.7 GB, Free 37.9 GB

Running McAfee security suite

Edited by smoozyq, 01 March 2009 - 09:03 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

until we open a game and then CPU usage shoots up to 100%

Game on-line?

smoozyq

smoozyq

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Sorry, Club Penguin, and games on Pogo.com like Poppit.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Close IE.
Go Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools, and click on Internet Explorer (no add-ons). Same thing?

Also, see, if same thing happens in Firefox.

smoozyq

smoozyq

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Tried IE with no add-ons, but when I went to Pogo, it wouldn't recognize that I had Java, so I couldn't even try a game to see if it would do the same thing. Club Penguin did the same.

Downloaded Firefox and opened a game on Pogo, CPU usage shot up to 100% with Firefox showing at between 95-97.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal - HiJackThis™ Logs Go Here area.

Before you post a log click on this link --> You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log
this will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your Hijackthis log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

smoozyq

smoozyq

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I will do that, thanks for your help!