Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crashing to power off

• Please log in to reply

SicSemper

SicSemper

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I've been having this problem on and off for a while now, where my computer will suddenly just power off. I've run a memory test and come up clean, I've replaced the heat sink/cooling fan on the CPU with much more robust cooling, I've updated every driver I have, I've run all the usual spyware/malware cleanup utils.

The crashes happen every time I try to do an operation like convert a video file for use with my MP3 player or convert other music files to mp3 format in iTunes. It also happens when playing a game like Left 4 Dead, but much less so when playing, say, Civ IV. I'd think it was the graphics card, except for those crashes when doing something like converting media. Occasionally, it'll go on certain websites. The New York Post's website is a frequent offender, but last night it dropped on YouTube. I really can't seem to find any pattern here.

Months ago I was having a heat issue where this happened almost constantly, and I noticed the CPU fan was barely turning, which is why I replaced the heat sink/fan. After that things smoothed out for several months before this started happening again with growing frequency a few weeks ago. But the temp readings are consistently at 30 C. I haven't wiped and reinstalled Vista yet, but that's what I figured the next step would have to be.

I'm running:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core 4800+
1 gig RAM
WD WD25 250GB SCSI
Maxtor 4K060H3 60GB ATA
ATI Radeon X550
Vista 32 home
Minidump files attached.

Attached File  Minidump.zip   56.34KB   178 downloads

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
So, we have three different errors here:
1. BAD_POOL_CALLER in ntkrpamp.exe
2. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA indicating memory_corruption
3. NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM in Ntfs.sys

First two would indicate RAM problem, even if the test didn't show anything.
The third one would rather point to HD problem, but I wouldn't be surprised, if it was caused by RAM as well.

In any case, if you have more than one RAM sticks, try to run the computer with one stick at a time.