Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I Use Everclear [190 Proof] 95% Alcohol To Clean Cpu+Heatsink?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I don't have any isopropyl alcohol laying around in the house. But I do have a bottle of Everclear which is labeled as being 190 Proof, with 95% Alcohol. Here's a picture of it below:

Posted Image

I have no idea if this type of alcohol is the same or better than isopropyl alcohol, or if it will just damage my cpu, heatsink, or just not clean well enough. I have no idea if this alcohol is meant for cleaning, drinking, or both... LOL. My mother in law brought it for me long ago from the U.S. For a brief description of what is in this type of alcohol please read the small details of it on this wikipedia link:

[It says something about it being a neutral grain spirit and other stuff]
http://en.wikipedia....clear_(alcohol)

I'd like to know if I can use this to clean a used cpu that still has some old thermal paste residue, and a heatsink that I purchased?

Thank You

Edited by superstar, 01 March 2009 - 05:58 PM.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
I suspect it would work, but I think you would be better off to buy isopropyl alcohol as it is cheap and then sell the Everclear.