Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Updating BIOS without bootdisk

• Please log in to reply

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
hello. I am trying to upgrade a bios that is ridiculously old because I am trying to install an 80GB HD.
I have a tekram p6b40-a4x motherboard and a P-II BX CPU with 192 MB RAM
bios version is award 4.51.... really old
I have WIndows XP Professional installed

Probably most would think it's too much, but the system runs fine, with no bugs or compatibility issues.. Granted it's an older system as such it runs a little slower..

Anyway, that's not my problem...

I am looking to upgrade my bios from within Windows XP itself either in safemode or DOS prompt mode..
I downloaded the proper .bin file for my motherboard and also downloaded awdflash.exe to flash the bios... I tried safe mode, safemode dos prompt, regular mode, safe mode directory check... but when I run awdflash.exe, it ends program saying failed due to emm something and QEMM... which I imagine are the extended memory whatever that are not supposed to be loaded according to awdflash instructions .. not realtime memory drivers apparently...

I have never tried to upgrade my bios before using a flash program, and am not sure of the common results or problems from this.. I am trying to find the best way to go ahead based on what I have. And if there is some more reliable method of upgrading the bios...

I seem to remember upgrading my bios on a celeron(HP computer) by just running a regular program that was run from windows itself and did all necessary steps including reboot the computer...

I haven't had much luck finding anyuthing of this sort..

Advertisements

logan312

logan312

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
You cannot flash your bios from within windows.
You MUST do it from a dos windows, by using a MS-DOS Startup Disk.
Format a floppy and placce a check in the box to create a MS-DOS Startup Disk.
after that is done you place the .bin file and the awdflash.exe onto that floppy.
have the computer boot to floppy then start the awdflash.exe. It should walk you through the process.

*****read up on BIOS flashing how to's at the award website*****
the downside of flashing incorrectly is a dead board.

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Yeah... Unfortunately , I found that out the hard way.. I flashed my bios, and my computer wouldn't start anymore... :tazz:
I bought a new motherboard and cpu, so it's okay. The other one was incredibly old anyway.

logan312

logan312

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I'm sorry....The first time I flashed my BIOS i also killed it. Take it as a good learning experience. :tazz:

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Appreciate your concern..
Yeah, just learning experience.

jkklau

jkklau

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Appreciate your concern..
Yeah, just learning experience.

View Post

hi, newbie here,

i am trying to upgrade my BIOS.

Questions;

1. what is the meaning of flashing yr BIOS?

2. to upgrade/update my BIOS, is there a step by step procedure where I can follow?

pls assist, tks! :tazz:

Edited by jkklau, 09 June 2005 - 04:11 PM.

jkklau

jkklau

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

hi, newbie here,

i am trying to upgrade my BIOS.

Questions;

1.  what is the meaning of flashing yr BIOS?

2.  to upgrade/update my BIOS, is there a step by step procedure where I can follow?

pls assist, tks!  :tazz:

View Post

i found this, is this ok?

Updating BIOS Procedures

Create a bootable system floppy disk.
Download an updated ASRock BIOS file (WinZip format with .zip file extension) from the web site, unzip the BIOS file and save both ASRFLASH.EXE utility and BIOS file to the disk you created in step 1.
Boot from the disk you created in step 2.
At the "A:\" prompt, type ASRFLASH, hit space bar once, and type BIOS file name then press <Enter>. For example: A:\ASRFLASH K7S41GX2.00 <Enter> then you will see a message "Please wait for BIOS loading ROM".
After 30 seconds, you will see the message "Flash ROM Update Completed - Pass", then you have finished upgrading the BIOS.
After finishing upgrading the BIOS, please remove the floppy disk. Restart your system and press <F2> to enter the BIOS setup utility during boot up.
In Exit menu, please select "Load Default Settings" and press <Enter> to continue.
Select "Exit Saving Changes" and press <Enter> to exit the BIOS setup utility.
Now, system is booting up with new BIOS.

pls comment, tks

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Yeah, just an update on BIOS flashhing for newbie.

Goto your motherboard manufacturer and find the bios file.
And then follow instructions left by previous post.

Also, look for directions that come with any bios flasher program you get and your motherboard. they can be important.