Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

freezing and hanging when streaming or downloading

• Please log in to reply

inspiron 1501

inspiron 1501

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello All,
I have a dell inspiron 1501 running xp and i have been having problems when i try to watch videos or stream tv shows i also get freezing when i am trying to download data. This problem only occurs when the downloads are more than 3 minutes and many times stalls at 8% or 9% when streaming video.

I pulled this from the error log

Sunday, March 01, 2009 Applicatio n Hang Hanging application HelpCtr.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.
Sunday, March 01, 2009 Applicatio n Hang Hanging application HelpCtr.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.
Sunday, March 01, 2009 Applicatio n Hang Fault bucket 126833367.
Sunday, March 01, 2009 Applicatio n Hang Hanging application IEXPLORE.EXE, version 6.0.2900.2180, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.
Sunday, March 01, 2009 Applicatio n Hang Hanging application IEXPLORE.EXE, version 6.0.2900.2180, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.
Sunday, March 01, 2009 Applicatio n Hang Fault bucket 126637809.
Sunday, March 01, 2009 Applicatio n Hang Fault bucket 126637809

I have seen this problem reported in many forums but unfortunately nobody has posted a fix.

I have also just done a full restore and there is nothing on this computer except windows xp, the dell drivers, and the most recent updates from automatic updates...service pack3xp and ie7

if someone can help i would greatly appreciate it

Advertisements

inspiron 1501

inspiron 1501

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
bump

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Don't...bump, please.

Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")
- security programs in use (antivirus, firewall)

inspiron 1501

inspiron 1501

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,
I hope this additional info may help you...help me

AMD athalon 64x2
dual core processor tk-53
1.7ghz 1.87gb of ram

111 gig hard drive/104 gigs of free space

no anti virus or firewalls installed yet

I am running windows xp home edition 2002 updated wth service pack 3
explorer 7.0

I forgot to mention that there s currently no antivirus installed. The system has just been formatted and there is nothing other that what was supplied by dell on the restore disks and the current updates by automatic updates for windows and a few driver updates from the dell website.

I was also having the same problems before i wiped my system.

I am really not very good with computers and nobody at dell is able to figure it out. It is very frustrating as the computer works for most things...except streaming and long down loads.

If you need any other info please let me know and i would like to thank any one who responds in advance.

regards,
Dereik

here is the most current warnings and errors from the event viewer

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: WinMgmt
Event Category: None
Event ID: 63
Date: 3/1/2009
Time: 8:02:02 PM
User: GREGORY\HOME
Computer: GREGORY
Description:
A provider, HiPerfCooker_v1, has been registered in the WMI namespace, Root\WMI, to use the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests.

Event Source: Userenv
Event ID: 1517
Time: 8:06:48 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
Windows saved user GREGORY\HOME registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

Event Source: Userenv
Event ID: 1517
Time: 8:13:51 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
Windows saved user GREGORY\HOME registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

.Event Type: Failure Audit
Event Source: Security
Event Category: Policy Change
Event ID: 615
Date: 3/3/2009
Time: 8:01:57 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Description:
IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of network interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential security hazard to the machine since some of the network interfaces may not get the protection as desired by the applied IPSec filters. Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to further diagnose the problem.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

no anti virus or firewalls installed yet

Very bad idea...

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal - HiJackThis™ Logs Go Here area.

Before you post a log click on this link --> You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log
this will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your Hijackthis log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

inspiron 1501

inspiron 1501

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I realize i don't have an antivirus, but i just formatted my computer and i am trying to figure out the problem i have. It was there before i formatted the system and it is still there. I would like to isolate the problem before i load the computer with all my programs, drivers and antivirus. I don't believe i have an infection as the problem started immediately after the format. As i have stated before, there is quite a few people with the same problem (with a Dell) on the various posts and nobody has posted a fix. Dell is also not able to solve my problem.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm not saying, your computer is necessary infected, but...

i am trying to download data

which makes me believe, you're using internet.
Very bad idea.
Researchers say, it only takes few minuter to compromise unprotected computer.
Before you connect, you must have at least firewall turned on.
Without it, we can never be sure, if some infection is not the culprit. Period.