Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want to access my PC hard drive from my TV.

• Please log in to reply

jcarissimo

jcarissimo

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi, here is my situation - I have FiOS running through my apartment. In my office I have my main pc with my video's, music, photos, etc. I also have a wireless laptop. This current configuration works great. I was recently at a party and the host was accessing his files via the TV. Showing little video clips, movies, photos. I was not able to ask him how to set this up but would like to try it!

Who can help? I'd appreciate any/all info about how to complete this task.

Thanks so much,
jcarissimo

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
A lot of the time it really just depends on whether your TV can support it. My TV came with a special powerboard which allows me to connect via Ethernet; I can also plug in a wireless adapter if I choose to. It has in-built software which allows me to connect to my network.

Have you consulted your TV's manual to see if it hints at any sort of PC support? Many TV's allow you to plug in your PC, but this isn't always the same as actually networking your TV.

Check your TV for any Ethernet ports that may allow you to connect. What's the make and model of your TV?

- Dan

jcarissimo

jcarissimo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi Dan, I just looked in my book for the TV since I can't easily access the back of it. There are no Ethernet or USB connections. I'm guessing there's probably no other way to do this then? That does make sense without the Ethernet connection - how would it connect?

Anyway, just in case - I have a Sony WEGA - Model KV-36HS20.

Let me know if you think of some other way.

Regards,
jcarissimo

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
I had a glance at your TV's Manual and couldn't really see anything suggesting that it supports networking. However, I really don't have much experience with networking TV's, so there may be some other way.

Another user/poster may be able to give you better instructions :)

- Dan

jcarissimo

jcarissimo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks Dan, I will keep checking to see if anyone else offers some advice.

I was thinking though, I have FiOS and I know they offer a "Media Center" type of cable box where you can access data from your pc. So I wonder if there's a way for me to use the connection on the cable box?

I'll have to check it out.

Regards,
jcarissimo

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if your tv isn't one of the magical ones that dan's got (i've never heard of a networkable TV...that's AWESOME!)...you would need to either hook a computer up to your tv (probably what your friend did) or get some form of media streaming device (there are a lot of network media streamers out there that you can hook to your tv to stream anything from video to mp3s etc..)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www22.verizon...mentDetails.htm actually...on the verizon FIOS TV page they say that the FIOS DVR (both HD and SD) can allow you to connect your PC to the DVR and stream media

PC Media Manager, included with your Home Media DVR, allows you to view slide shows and listen to music stored on your computer on your television.
Download media manager