Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer fails to boot several times

• Please log in to reply

Chirag64

Chirag64

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hello,
I have a 3 year old pc, which has lately shown a very weird problem which i was not able to find a solution even on a search engine.

Whenever i log off from my windows user account or restart my pc, my computer just shuts down after reaching the log off screen as if it was a power cut. It also goes off like this when my computer hangs up (which should usually show a blue screen of death).

Now after this, when i start my pc, i hear the fan spinning and the power light on the CPU Cabinet turns on for 2 seconds and it suddenly goes off. This continues for 5-6 times and after that, my pc starts normally.

This failure of booting only occurs when the pc goes off on its own, i.e., when i start my pc in the morning (after its been off for hours), it starts without a problem.

I believe this is a hardware problem since I've Windows XP and Ubuntu installed on my pc, and before loading start up programs, my pc is supposed to ask me which OS to start with, but it doesn't when the computer fails to boot.

Hope you can figure out what the problem is :)

Advertisements

rouge helper

rouge helper

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
i think you might have an atapi rootkit but i don't know how to repair one of those but do this go to Google and type in GMER download it open it and scan. if it something that says something like this atapi.sys suspicious modification then you're done man. or you can wait for a pro on that kind of stuff to come buy