Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DEAD COMPUTER - Really weird

• Please log in to reply

dannyjw

dannyjw

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey all,

was looking for similar threads to this but could find none, so here goes!

Basically when I left for work this morning, my PC was fine. It had been on through the night and i shut it down in the morning.

When I got home I went to turn it on, and there was no response. It was dead. I then took the side off to check that everything was plugged in and everything was, and the LED on the mobo was on meaning the mobo was recieving power.

If i unplug the power cable, then plug it back in, when i press the power button I get a quick burst of life and all the fans spin and lights come on for less than a second then nothing.. When I press the power again there is nothing more, not even a burst of life. Its only when i unplug and plug back in I get a moment of life.

Ive tried removed all components abnd hoovered the dust out, and even on the bare minimum of components I get no change. Ive tried diff power cables and plug sockets and no change. This has come at a real bad time with work and stuff that needs doing.

My setup is as follows

Athlon 64 fx-60 (skt 939)
ASUS A8N SLI Dekluxe mobo
2gb (4x512mb)
100gb 10,000rpm raptor
500gb maxtor
Win XP

So from what I can tell my PSU dosent seem to be the prob as the mobo is getting power, and im guessing that means the mobo (should be) OK.

At the mo im thinking fried cpu maybe?

Any ideas/advice/knowledge/funny way to cheer me up would b very much apreaciated =D

ty in advance!!

Dan

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Just because the LED is on doesn't mean the board is receiving all the power it needs to boot. Try a new PSU.

dannyjw

dannyjw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yeah I am going to try a new PSU this evening.

Through other research I have found that it may have something to do with the fact that my Chipset Fan has not been working for months now, which also caused my onboard sound to pack in a few months back.

So Im guessing if this is the case its a new mobo for me (just glad it probli isnt the cpu) and skt 939 mobo's are quite cheap these days.

So im going to try and hope with the new PSU, otherwise I'll finally have to upgrade the old A8N SLI Deluxe. Its probably about time as the Mobo and PSU are the only 2 components that have not been replaced since I first got the PC.

dannyjw

dannyjw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yup it was the PSU.

Thankfully!

Ty for the help, everything works perfectly now

dannyjw

dannyjw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey guys, im in need of your expert advice once more =( PC dead once again.
Ive been having some serious symptoms which have resulted in a PC that will not even boot.
OK basically around a week ago my PC began freezing completely on startup - pretty much 10 seconds after I login everything would go totally unresponsive, windows would be up but mouse stops moving, everything is dead, so I would restart. The freezes would get earlier and earlier (even after the PC was left off for some hours). It began freezing half way into loading XP, and also while I will be looking through BIOS. I thought its really weird that this would happen in BIOS before any windows settings were loaded.
And now, my PC does not even start booting. When I switch it on I get a black screen and my processor fan if just going really fast. (Normally when I boot up fan is seriously loud for about 5 secs before it slows and boot starts).
Im thinking its either PSU (once again) or motherboard problem. I do not think its HD as I have tried having only either of my HD's plugged in, and also haveing neither plugged in and this has no effect. PC still powers up loudly but nothing ever appears on the screen and there are no system beeps or anything.
One last thing, if I unplug my graphics card from the power supply, I get the long loud beep telling me its not plugged in. Does this mean the mobo could potentially not be the problem?
*hoping its not a dead procesor*

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Speedfan (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

Posted Image

dannyjw

dannyjw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey mate ty for the insta-response!

I cannot boot the PC up whatsoever now. (on mates laptop at the mo)
Cannot get into the BIOS to check these details either. When I switch the PC on, nothing starts booting, nothing appears on screen and no normal beeps associated with a boot. Same happens with no HD plugged in.

When its turned on the fans are going really fast which is normal for my PC when I first turn it on. When its working normally usually after 5 seconds the fans slow and at that point the first things appear on screen and boot starts. Now the fans do not slow up after 5 seconds, and nothing appears on screen. I have to hold power button for 3 seconds to power the PC down again

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Check all your connections from the PSU. There should be one to the MOBO and to each Drive.
I suspect something is not connected correctly. Also make sure the CPU Fan is turning on when you first turn on the power.
Check the memory and reseat it to make sure it did not get unseated during the install of new PSU
Check connections to your HD"s and make sure power is connected and also the IDE Ribbon or SATA cable did not become disconnected

Let us know what your results are.

dannyjw

dannyjw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey mate,

I've tried every combination of my harware pretty much. Ive removed all but 1 peice of ram and tried each one by itself. Ive done the same with my 2 hard drives, and even powering up with neither hard drive plugged in (unplugged from mobo and psu) has any effect. Still does not even start booting.

CPU fan is going without a doubt, it is going really fast in fact. As I say this is normal for the first 5 seconds of being turned on. Usually after 5 sec it slows and boot begins.

I get the impression that its a more fundamental problem and that the computer does not even get to the stage of detecting any hardware or even start the boot process

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then lets test the MOBO

Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except

* keyboard
* mouse
* video output
* 20+4 powercable
* 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
* Cpu fan wire
* power and reset button to the case
*case speaker

Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case witch could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on

If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Thanks to Cbarnard for these instructions

Advertisements

dannyjw

dannyjw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
OK mate thanks for all the help!

I really wouldnt be suprised to find out a little bugger of a screw is sat underneath my mobo =)

Will check it out now

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please let us know what you discover as this is a interesting Topic for myself. :)

dannyjw

dannyjw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey mate,

Bad news, ive currently got the mobo out on my bed, with only the things in your list connected and no change. Still exact same, turns on but does not start booting.

More bad news, upon inspection I did not have the case speaker plugged in at any point. And as I tried to cut the plastic ties on the speaker cable, i accidentally pulled one of the 2 wires off the speaker =(

Does this mean that any error sounds the system has been trying to play would not have been heard? and now cannot be heard

=(

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes you are correct on that. If you took the MOBO out and still no post then your MOBO is your problem. By separating it you have eliminated the case shorting out the MOBO.
I believe you have found your problem. :)

dannyjw

dannyjw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ahh fair enough,

think it could still be psu problem?