Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer shutting down on XP setup

• Please log in to reply

delao

delao

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok so i'm working on a older HP laptop of mine thats been out of order for a while. Haven't used this bad boy for about 3 years now (its more about 7 years old.) Anyhow, I remember when it first was giving me problems, I made the mistake of trying to reformat the hard drive myself. Ran into a bunch of issues, didnt have the time to look to get fixed so I'm trying to do so myself now.

Trying to set up XP with the disk

Come to screen that says

Windows XP Home Edition Setup

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer

To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press Enter

I figure this is what I want to do so I choose the first option:

C: Partition 1 (Unknown) 19069 MB (19069 free)

and press Enter..nothing happens at first. It takes at least a minute of sitting on the same screen and the next screen shows

An error occurred while Setup was updating partition information on:

19078 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 in bus 0 on atapi [MBR].

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3.

I'm sure there are steps I am missing. Any ideas?

Advertisements

delao

delao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Forgot to mention that computer will actually SHUT DOWN when i leave on the error screen for 5 min. HELP!