Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BIOS Update

• Please log in to reply

Corwin_Trueblood

Corwin_Trueblood

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I haven't done this in years

So I was wondering if I could get some help with making sure my BIOS is up to date. I have the BIOS update already I am just needing info on how to apply it

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Updating the bios can kill your machine. More than likely, it won't happen, but unless you absolutely need to update, you shouldn't mess with it. The best bet is to visit the motherboard manufacture's site and download/follow their instructions. If someone here tried to help you and in fact helped kill your board, you have no recourse.

Is there a reason you need to update?

Corwin_Trueblood

Corwin_Trueblood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Well my board guide says that my computer can suppor 8x AGP cards but in the bios setting it only shows 1x 2x and 4x

Plus when I did install an 8x AGP video card it worked but before Windows loads i get scrambled characters on the screen and I can't read anything in the bios settings because of it

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Did you download the bios from the manufacture? If so, there should be a "readme" file in the zip contents that tells you exactly how to update the bios.

Corwin_Trueblood

Corwin_Trueblood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
It is not a zip file but an exe file and not sure if it came directly from the manafacturer i got it a few weeks ago