Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Noob Question - Laptop as Second Screen?

• Please log in to reply

SteveZissou

SteveZissou

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have three laptops of varying usefulness, but what I really need is a second screen. Is it possible for me to use one (or both!) of my alternate laptops as another monitor?

What other setups are possible for me to get the most out of this unused computing power? Is it possible to have a mouse and keyboard that work on both laptops while everything else stays separate?

Primary Laptop - Lenovo R61i
XP Pro Sp3
Intel Dual Core T2370 @ 1.73 GHz, 1.73 GHz
1.99 GB RAM
Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 (Not sure about #, how do I check?)

Secondary Laptop - Inspiron 5150
XP Home Sp3
Intel Pentium 4 3.06 GHz
1.25 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200

Tertiary Laptop - Inspiron 4000
XP Pro Sp2 (hasn't been on the internet since 2001)
Pentium III 851 MHz
256 MB RAM
ATI Mobility 128 AGP 2x (Dell)

Alternately, I just discovered the third laptop gathering dust in my basement. Besides having a shot battery, it seems to work fine. Any suggestions on what to do with it?

Thanks guys. Throw any idea out there and see what sticks... I enjoy fooling around with this stuff and am looking to get more practice at it.

Edited by SteveZissou, 02 March 2009 - 11:32 PM.

Advertisements

SteveZissou

SteveZissou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I solved this myself.

If you have a similar problem, a KVM switch is an OK hardware solution, but beware there are tons of bad ones on the market.

Otherwise, freeware Synergy http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/ can allow you to use the mouse and keyboard of one laptop on two laptops, all you have to do is load the software on both and make sure that they're networked.

Now how to go about closing this topic.....