Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remote desktop connection with port forwarding from the internet not w

• Please log in to reply

abrupt

abrupt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I am trying to set up a remote connection from my work's notebook to be able to access my home pc. Now I know there are a lot of topics out there and trust me i read a lot, and even followed several tutorials with no luck! Also, just as a note, another pc on my home network is able to be remote controlled but since I opened another port, that shoudn't be a problem should it?

Anyway here is what I did:

I am using the no-ip address of my brother since it represents the same ip of course (There is no need for the DUC client to be running on my pc correct? since it is running on my brothers pc)
I enabled remote access from my computer.
I have a Thompson router, went to game and application sharing. There is one ready named Remote Desktop Connection which my brother is not using, instead he is using one named HTTPS with another port number. So I assigned this to my pc.
I changed the listening port of my pc from the registry. (Now if i understood correctly, the router's port and pc's port are not the same. I haven't understood this well... if someone can explain it to me)
Added this port to the windows firewall's exception.
Restarted my pc
Went to remote desktop connection. entered mynoipaddress.no-ip.org:registry's_port_number

And no luck. Can please someone tell me what is wrong??

thanks for any responses in advance!

Edited by abrupt, 03 March 2009 - 04:45 AM.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey abrupt -- welcome to G2G :)

You made such a great in-depth post, but you missed out on the one key detail -- can you please expand on what "no luck" means -- what sort of error message does it produce; i.e. access denied, host couldn't be found, etc.?

Are you simply trying to use Windows in-built Remote Desktop service, or third-party software?

entered mynoipaddress.no-ip.org:registry's_port_number

This should be mynoipaddress.no-ip.org:router's_port_number, I would think.

The steps you've listed look about right, but without an error message we can't really tell you what's wrong :)

Not sure what articles you have looked at, but here's a pretty good one. Make sure you follow the (Standard) installation instructions, not the Web.

- Dan